• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think I would be outragous?

8 posts in this topic

I am thinking about listing some coins on ebay... and I would like some imput on if you think at $5.00 Starting I would be outragous on this coin? It books at $1.00 in F-12 but then you add in the toning? Opinions please....

628407-1935buffalo.jpg

628407-1935buffalo.jpg.c8ee5c53a11fcf3670174b2c910dc04b.jpg

I guess you could just make it a "true" auction and start at (or near) zero and see what the market says. confused-smiley-013.gif

jom

I don't really think it matters what you start that coin at. If you start it at $5, you are essentially setting a reserve, which is fine. I start all of my auctions at $1 and let them go. It's unusual for a coin to receive a less-than-fiar bid, although it can happen (and has). Anyhow, I'd advertise the coin with rainbow toning, which often catches the eye of may collectors. It's a nice looking coin and will likely garner better than a $5 bid when it's all over.

Hoot

I think you might have more success starting it a bit lower, but I wouldn't say it was outragous to start off at $5.00. If you don't want to let it go for less than $5, then start if off there and let bidders decide if they want to pay a mark up for a circulated toner 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd start it at .01c for reasons noted above. You might pick up several more bidders before it reaches 5.00 and they will all have to look at it on thier "MY EBAY" page for a week and be tempted to bid.

I think you are in a little bit of an odd spot to be in on this coin because of how you will likely have to word the title. Let's face it, a F12 1935 Buffalo is not a tought coin, and attracting a crowd to this piece will be difficult if you have a $5 opening bid and shipping. Most folks will ignore it. Of course, you could put in your title that it is rainbow toned and then most folks might ignore it because they will assume that you have AT'ed a worn coin and are trying to rip them. Either way, it's a bad position to be in.

In my opinion, the key will be to write an auction title that will let people know that it is a special coin that you have not played with and then just hope that they bid. For this reason, I would start it at one cent with a good title and explain the toning in your auction. Good luck.

For $2.35, a collector could pick up an EF! And with this type of toning. Most of my circulated Mercs did this after years in a Whitman coin folder. But on the other hand, I've sold an EDS non FS 1956 Jeff that had bullseye toning for $35 but it also graded MS64 893scratchchin-thumb.gif sorry... poor example! 27_laughing.gif

Because of it's grade, I wouldn't start it out at $5! Try $1 and that you'll throw in

an old ripped up playboy to the winner! 27_laughing.gif

Did I say that? tonofbricks.gif

Leo