• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wanna see some ugly toning?

7 posts in this topic

Perfect example of what I need to learn. Please teach us newbies why this coin is AT instead of NT. And perfect example of sellers feedback being perfect so a new buyer would probably purchase from this seller. Any insight would be appreciated. grin.gif

Here is the way most toning works .. If the color are too electric and such,.. such as these... Then a red flag should go up, now if it is slabbed by NGC or PCGS then it is ok... Also alot of the time the toning will start from the rim and work itself inward... If you are ever unsure about any toning post pics and ask... that is the only way to learn.... Usally electric blue, with orange is a dead give away... just look at his other auctions as well.....

Melanie, this seller's auction is a very poor teaching tool for AT vs NT because the seller's images are, with near certainty, highly manipulated. Therefore, I doubt very much that the coins look that bad.

To all newbies, if you are going to enter the toned coin niche, please do yourself a favor and view hundreds or thousands of NGC or PCGS slabbed toned coins in person in order to get a "feel" for what is accepted as legitimate toning. It is near impossible to impart the knowledge of toning via the written word alone. You must look at coins in-hand to gain much of this.

Until one is familiar with toning, I would strongly advise not to pay any premium for a raw, toned coin.

It is hard to be patient and wait until one has a chance to see a lot of coins. A large coin show is a good start, once you have been to many large shows you can begin to see what coin get into NGC holders and which ones are still raw.

Whenever one sees a wild toned coin one must ask themselves "how did it get that way?" For example US Mint sets from the 50s came in cheap cardboard holders and have a common look. Once you see how these come you can recognize them.

I would like to add to what Tom has said, The coins are worth only face value! And if anyone thinks that a couple of dollars and postage is cheap for these coins, if one buys too many of them, your loses will add up quickly over time! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Did that last line make any sense? 27_laughing.gif

Leo