• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA COA's

9 posts in this topic

I couldn't resist posting this item. I'm a collector of GSA Morgans and want to have the proper COA serial number to match my coin. On occassion, I've had to go and purchase just the COA and have seen sellers asking moon money prices for the certificates, but this one takes the cake....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1879-CC-GSA-COA-CARD-ONLY-NO-COIN-OR-BOX-WONDERFUL-CHRISTMAS-GIFT-ID-F633-/370952222059?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item565e79b56b

I've never seen one so high in price! Is there anyone out there who would pay this amount for a COA? I'm OCD when it comes to having all the documents, but this is over the top.

Joe

Edited to add: Plus the first few digits look doctored.

I've never seen one so high in price! Is there anyone out there who would pay this amount for a COA? I'm OCD when it comes to having all the documents, but this is over the top.

I say WTG if you have your COA for your GSA provided it's graded by NGC.

why's that?

why's that?

Just a plug to our hosts who had the wisdom to grade these in their slabs from the outset. Before they figured that out ATS, they destroyed a lot of slabs. That's all.

They didn't grade them in the holders from the outset. I don't have my notes but I don't believe NGC started grading them in the GSA holders until the late 90's. So they were cracked out and set to NGC for almost 25 years and PCGS for almost 35 years. And most of the people who craked then out disposed of the certificates. If I remember there were only about 4,000 79-CC dollars in the hoard. Not a lot survived over 25 years of destruction. And if you have one without the certificate there aren't a lot of 79CC certificates floating around you can match it up with. So if you want one you'll have to pay the price.

Oh. But that's interesting on the value of some of these certificates. With that kind of money to be made, how would I know I bought a genuine one? I suppose I'd need those certified, too.

The big caveat is watching what you pay and sell a GSA coin for. I have an overall selling question:

The price in the guide is for the GSA coin in the grade listed. There is no mention made that the value given assumes the coin has the COA or not. When you purchase a coin rarely do you see a person take less money for the coin when it doesn't have a numbered COA. That being the case, will we be seeing more coins and COA's being sold separately in the future? Anybody can already search GSA COA on ebay and see the dozens and dozens that come up. I will not buy a coin that is not accompanied by the COA, but two coins out of my set took me an extra long time to find because of that.

There's BIG cash in the 1879, 90, and 91 COA's and some less than stellar dealers are taking advantage of making every dime they can by selling them separately. I think this practice is unethical. I've actually seen listings on ebay that came right out and said the card was extra.

Also, if the first few digits look doctored I believe it was due to them being static on the machine and others rotating with the count. Most GSA's I have seen are like that and I have seen several right out of a sealed box. I might even be a little suspicious of numbers that were perfectly aligned. This is just my opinion of course and not based on any research outside my collecting experience.

Also, if the first few digits look doctored I believe it was due to them being static on the machine and others rotating with the count. Most GSA's I have seen are like that and I have seen several right out of a sealed box. I might even be a little suspicious of numbers that were perfectly aligned. This is just my opinion of course and not based on any research outside my collecting experience.

That observation is correct, and there have been cases of fake COA's being sold.