• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dusting Off Some Copper from my Personal Collection

19 posts in this topic

It's been quite a while since I've posted coins from my personal collection, so I thought I'd dust off some of my old favorites and give them a little airing out. ;)

Each coin in my collection has something unique and interesting about it - at least to me. For a coin to "qualify" for my collection, it needs to have at least one of three things: beautiful toning, a neat/bold variety, and/or an interesting error. Any way, I hope you enjoy looking at my little babies as much as I do!

This 1942 is the last coin I kept from the original collection I inherited from my aunt that got me started in coins. It was raw and when I sent it to PCGS, I was very pleased to get this top pop "brown" grade.

6.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

26.jpg

11.jpg

15.jpg

7.jpg

15.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

16.jpg

29.jpg

12.jpg

22.jpg

20.jpg

19.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

13.jpg

FYI, in case you'd like to see the rest of my collection, including my Conder tokens and exonumia, they are all posted on my website [L=HERE]http://thepennylady.com/charmyscollections.html[/L].

Fantastic group, Charmy! It must take real devotion not to yield to the temptation of selling them.

They're all wonderful. It's hard to pick favorites. But I just love the '14-D, '79, and the '55 DDO. Wow.

Lance.

Very nice coins! I especially like the 1879, 1880 and 14-D.

Glad you enjoy collecting as well as buying/selling.

Out standing, I remember a few of these, the concentric circles on the MS-661864 Bronze cent,

I remember the discussion but don't remember what the consensus was as to why these are there?

Great group of coins!l coins! I've seen most of them on your website, but I enjoyed looking at them again

Each and every one is unique and just beautiful!!

Could you explain a little bit on the errors on the 1864 (one with the special edge, never seen one like that - what caused it??), the 1864 NGC 66BN, and also what is the clash on the reverse of the 1880 from?

Very unique errors.

Thank you!

The 1864-L was engrailed post-minting, probably for decorative use, perhaps as a love token. It was extremely well done, and I've never seen another one like it.

The 1864 Bronze MS66 BN is the S-11 variety. Rick Snow explains in his Attribution Guide that the lathe lines could have been created from "an old die which was re-engraved for some reason. It may have been expedient to re-engrave the design directly into this working die to bring out the design. Any lines cut into the die would be very difficult to smooth out, so they were left in."

The 1880 off center die clash is S-1. The Attribution Guide states that "the clash was made prior to the die being hubbed. This means that a hardened reverse die was hand struck into a softened blank die. Why would anyone do that? One could imagine a worker picking up a blank die and hitting it with a finished die that was known to be the proper hardness. Clang! He could make a clash mark in this way just us- ing hand strength. The impression of the denticles are visible well into the design on the E in ONE. The clash is partially obliterated on either side of the wreath. This shows that there was metal movement on the die after the clash was made."

You know there's a ready made joke here about giving a lady $100,000 and she comes back with 31 cents in change........but I won't go there.

Seriously, that's a tremendous collection of rare error cents that might well be the best assembled by anyone. You should be very proud.

Thanks for dusting them off Charmy!!

The 1864-L was engrailed post-minting, probably for decorative use, perhaps as a love token. It was extremely well done, and I've never seen another one like it.

The 1864 Bronze MS66 BN is the S-11 variety. Rick Snow explains in his Attribution Guide that the lathe lines could have been created from "an old die which was re-engraved for some reason. It may have been expedient to re-engrave the design directly into this working die to bring out the design. Any lines cut into the die would be very difficult to smooth out, so they were left in."

The 1880 off center die clash is S-1. The Attribution Guide states that "the clash was made prior to the die being hubbed. This means that a hardened reverse die was hand struck into a softened blank die. Why would anyone do that? One could imagine a worker picking up a blank die and hitting it with a finished die that was known to be the proper hardness. Clang! He could make a clash mark in this way just us- ing hand strength. The impression of the denticles are visible well into the design on the E in ONE. The clash is partially obliterated on either side of the wreath. This shows that there was metal movement on the die after the clash was made."

Thank you for the reply.

This 1864-L is really neat!