• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hopefully I created some new coin collectors today....

27 posts in this topic

My daughters teacher invited me to their 4th grade career day at school today to provide insight into being a coin dealer. So I took a nice selection of coins and comic books to share with them and provided quite the history lesson to boot. I had to go to 4 different classrooms and give a 25 minute presentation to each which I thought might be a challenge on 1-days notice but I find it's easy to speak for long periods of time when you are passionate about something lol

I ran long in each session as the kids had a million questions for me...

My favorite part of the discussions surrounded obsolete coins and the kids were amazed to hear about 1/2 cents, 3 Cent Nickels/3-cent silver, Half Dimes, twenty cent pieces etc. I also talked about fractional currency and brought a nice selection of Spanish Gold Doubloons for show and tell as what kid doesn't like Pirate treasure :headbang:

Probably my least favorite part of the discussion was letting kids know that the $2 bills they each have are worth $2 and that the Gold Buffalo $50 coins being hocked on TV aren't real gold.... :facepalm:

Good for you Shane. Fourth graders make a great audience for a coin talk.

I am a volunteer at the Dahlonega Gold Museum and I do the mint an coin talk for students visiting the Museum on field trips whenever I can. I get about 30 minutes for my presentation in the Mint room and like you, I always run over.

The kids and the parents always seem to enjoy the presentation. But I must admit that I enjoy giving the presentation even more.

I bet that was fun.

I hope you turned a few. I can not seem to turn my own kids.

I came close a couple of years ago with my daughter. She took coins to show and tell 2 or 3 times.

Now it is only music and drama club.

The boy will only like coins if they have a soccer ball on them.

What do ya do?

edited to add if I had a coin with a soccer ball on it he would probably try to juggle it. How so think that would grade?

Congratulations Shane! That's a really good thing to do! It's always nice to give a talk on coins to kids. I bet they LOVED the pirate gold. On one week long field trip to the "Gold Country" here in CA. with my kid's grade I brought an 1849 Eagle and the kids (and their parents) couldn't get enough of it.

Knowing you, I bet you DID create some new coin collectors! :applause:

Way to go bud. We need to refill the funnel at every turn. New Collectors are hard to come by with all the other distractions. Hope you reached a few.

A follow up in a week or 2 with handouts to the classes of some basic collector stuff might help keep their interest.

That's very great of you Mr.Shane. my 2 sons and my 21 month old daughter love to (Help)daddy with my coins. My oldest is almost 9 and has gtA be 1 of the brightest kids I know. He brought a kids coin collecting book from school and was telling me all about how Lincoln got on the penny and he wanted to know everything I know. He's definitely gna be a collector

Shane---That is great what you did. I applaud you for taking the time out to help kids, while promoting this great hobby. It is also interesting and very good to hear that many of our very young people still have such an interest in our hobby. It makes me feel very positive and optimistic about the future of numismatics! Thank you! :thumbsup:

She is pretty proud of her daddy and man she is an angel sent from Heaven...I don't know how I got so lucky to be blessed with such a loving child but I'm not complaining. <3