• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problem Coins posted by JTO

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Is problem finely detailed rare coin better than a no detail Problem free coin?

A one year type quarter. So She has the mumps and graffiti which are nicely described as "Counter Stamped". Why not American Chop marks? I think that the "problem free" coins at some point will not be the be-all-and-end-all of collecting. In this case the coin pictured was in an auction with another that was problem free but with "About Good" grade (rubbed smooth) and sold for thousands more. I lost this coin in the Long Beach show a couple of years ago and now the price was less (because it is not a problem free coin). With only a a couple hundred of these one year coins in existence I would rather have a problem coin with fine "details" rather than a problem free coin with no "details". I could be all wrong...

14503.jpg

See more journals by JTO

In such a case of a rarity like that a detailed coin is always a good place holder till you find a coin you are happier with. There is a lot of detail left in that one even with the center punched. Looks better than a rubbed out AG graded for sure!!

Rick

I guess it depends on what your Numismatic goals are.

As a true collector, the detailed coin may be the best bet.

As an investor/collector, the problem free coin would be the better choice IMO.

I like it, even with the problems. Quite detailed and a tough coin to find. It might be better financially to have a problem free example, but overall I doubt you'll lose money on this coin if you chose to sell it.

I count this as a highly desirable coin.

Todd

Mumps? Graffiti? Problems? All BS to me on a 18th century coin! I would kill for anything American from the 1700's. Kill but not sale my GSA or 1879 lol. That coin is awesome, sometimes just enjoy the coin for what it is, where it's been and who may have had it in their pocket. This is a hobby first; even though most desire it to be an investment. Be very proud of that coin.

David

Is problem finely detailed rare coin better than a no detail Problem free coin?

A one year type quarter. So She has the mumps and graffiti which are nicely described as "Counter Stamped". Why not American Chop marks? I think that the "problem free" coins at some point will not be the be-all-and-end-all of collecting. In this case the coin pictured was in an auction with another that was problem free but with "About Good" grade (rubbed smooth) and sold for thousands more. I lost this coin in the Long Beach show a couple of years ago and now the price was less (because it is not a problem free coin). With only a a couple hundred of these one year coins in existence I would rather have a problem coin with fine "details" rather than a problem free coin with no "details". I could be all wrong...

14503.jpg

See more journals by JTO

I personally don't give a rat's behind if a rare early US coin had mumps or minor problems, I buy rarities with minor problems because I can't afford the best. Whenever a fully detailed rare half eagle shows up on the market that I don't have, it's mine, no thought involved. My only reservation with this one is that the coin is so widely avalable that I would have to get it for a LOT less than market with that big of a problem, but if gven th choic between the two, even at the same price, I'd have to choose the problem coin simply because as a true collector and numismatist, I'd want to most detail to show others what they looked like. By the way, the 1804 is MUCH rarer than the 1796. I'd buy five 1804's before I bought the 1796, and in fact I completed the entire bust quarter set with no 1796 simply because I could never find good value in the date- it's price is unrealistically inflated for the very reason you mentioned- it is a one year type and to complete a comprehensive type set you need it. In any case, congrats on the grab my friend!

There is no right or wrong involved, just personal preference.

And just like in the case of coins which grade, some "details" coins are (still) pleasing, while others aren't.