• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945 S USA/FILIPINAS 5 Centavos

12 posts in this topic

Hello-I am looking for information on a 1945 S 5/S 6.06A --USA/FILIPINAS 5 Centavos coin. I am in possession of this coin but can not find a value and how I might go about authenticating and grading it. Is it a rare die error coin or is it not worth spending time on. I am fairly new to the numismatic arena and any help would be greatly appreciated--Thanks

I don't know what all that stuff after 1945 S means, but the 45-S 5c PI coin is not a big deal per Krause. Uncirculated it might be worth $1, a real beauty maybe $2-3. Do you have reason to think it's a non-standard example? Mintage was over 72M, so that's not low.

Okay. Well, all I can tell you is that in the 2013 Krause catalog, that error isn't listed. Which of course doesn't mean it doesn't exist. A lot exists that isn't in Krause.

I've never heard of the reference you are using. Is it a specialized work on Phillippines? What is the title?

I doubt the S would be punched in over a 5 because where would a 5 punch come from? The mint was creating hubs from direct reduction from models by that time and the date would have been part of the model. They most likely would not have a 5 punch on hand. Especially one as small as the mintmark punch.

I believe in the Allen book it is referred to as a 6.06a variety of the 1945 S 5 Centavo coin. It clearly identifies a 1945 S 5/S as an error coin that has a 5 stamped over an S unless I read it wrong. If thats the case then I apologize. Please let me know. I am fairly new and a sub-novice at best in the numismatics arena but find it more and more exciting as I am seeing what this field can really offer. Especially the history of a particular country,s coinage with relation to historical and cultural events.

Hello-I am looking for information on a 1945 S 5/S 6.06A --USA/FILIPINAS 5 Centavos coin. I am in possession of this coin but can not find a value and how I might go about authenticating and grading it. Is it a rare die error coin or is it not worth spending time on. I am fairly new to the numismatic arena and any help would be greatly appreciated--Thanks

It is listed as a variety in the Allen book. The numeral 5 was repunched. It is valued at $45 in MS63 and $100 in MS 65. Hope that helps.