• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any help from GSA Morgan collectors?

17 posts in this topic

I saw two GSA Morgans for sale. One 1883-CC and the other 1884-CC. The price is $160 each. I do not know what they look like. Are either of these dates harder to find? Are either one of these dates more valuable? Any help would be appreciated!

The '82 - '83 & '84-CC GSA's are the most common. To be worth the asking price of $160 each they would have to be in exceptional condition - say MS64 or above.

Thanks for the info! Looking at price guides for non-GSA Morgans I figured these would have to grade out pretty high. I'm going to request some scans of each of these coins and probably buy the one I like the most.

You can routinely see these in "average" unc condition on Yahoo and ebay for about $110. At that price ($160), they'd better be gems...which in my experience for those dates still in GSA slabs, they aren't. Also make sure you're getting the original display box and serialized insert card with the date of the coin (83 or 84) as the first two numbers of the serial.

I for one have not heard of RPM varieties for these dates. That does not mean they don't exist - just that I have not heard of them. But then there's a lot of things I haven't heard of. I checked the VAM pages - and was unable to see any listing there.

Perhaps someone else knows.

If You can find the VAM book from 1977 look at page 171 for 1883cc and page 175-176 for 1884cc. If you cant find book PM me with your adress and I photocopy them for you. CHRIS

looking at the coins, I am leaning more towards the '84. But, I don't know what details to look at to see which one would pull off the better grade. So I'm putting in a pole so people can vote on which one they think will get the better grade. Some input would also be nice. Thanks.