• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proper coin storage...

7 posts in this topic

....can someone please steer me to any articles or books on long-term storage requirements for silver and gold coins.

I have all my coins in a safe that has desiccant and a golden rod for keeping a constant temperature and humidity. The slabbed coins are in NGC silver boxes, my Dansco coin albums are inside protective sleeves, and the proof/mint sets are in their original shipping sleeves. The safe maintains a relative humidity of 37% to 40% and a temperature of 75ºF. Typical ambient humidity outside the safe is currently running 55-65%, so the desiccant and golden rod are doing their job.

I'd like to know ideal temperature and humidity requirements if such guidelines exist to ensure the silver coins remain pristine. I've seen 3m moisture barrier bags used for shipping and just wondering if these would be better for long-term storage. I don't know if there is a minimum humidity or maximum temperature for optimal preservation.

Thanks for any input, suggestions.

I don't think you're far from perfect. If anything having humidity might help to tone coins naturally if that's your desire. If you want to keep white coins white, less humidity might help.

I'd like to know what the Smithsonian does with theirs. That's the set up to end all set up's.

If anything having humidity might help to tone coins naturally if that's your desire.

I hate to correct you but coins can't tone naturally if that's your desire. They can only tone naturally if that's not your desire. They tone artificially if toning them naturally is your desire. If you don't know whether that's your desire, they of course tone questionably.

Collecting toned coins is tough. One can't underscore enough the importance of being educated.

To put it a different way where everyone understands me. An environment that has low humidity is ideal to prevent toning (or so I understand).

Sheesh..

That is correct, and the humidity needs to be greatly reduced. The best way to do so is by placing the NGC boxes inside a sealed container, with the desiccants inside.

A cool, dry, dark atmosphere is ideal for coin storage.

To put it a different way where everyone understands me. An environment that has low humidity is ideal to prevent toning (or so I understand).

Actually that goes to corrosiveness and decay, not really toning. Toning is just a sulfur thing.