• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Besides the color is there something special about this?

24 posts in this topic

I am not up to date on the varieties, but a quick glance at my Cherrypicker's guide show's no reference to any varieties listed to the 1944-S. I think the final hammer price was driven by the excellent toning in combination with the grade and the "+" designation. But I would say the main driving force in the final price was driven by who wanted the coin more...

Why couldn't it just be the color that pulled that premium?

This post made me chuckle a bit, from a guy who commonly posts coins that he purchases for multiples of this one -- for no other reason than the color. (shrug)

Just taking notes and I was unaware of any variety for this date. No better way of finding out for sure than using the wealth of knowledge here.Thanks for the responses.

Hmm, well I understand the love of the color and the luster is also excelent, but is it just me or does the obv strike seem somewhat wanting for that grade level??

Yes....I agree. However, I'm not sure it can be just an MS65 either. I'd probably go 65+ but maybe the luster is overwhelming or something and can't be seen in the photo. (shrug)

jom

It was certainly a nice piece; prices started to run away from where I felt it was valued.

Mind me asking what price you were thinking on it? Thanks

This wasn't posed directly to me, but I would have guessed the retail value to be somewhere in the $100 to $125 range. I am a bit surprised by the final price realized. The color is attractive, to be sure, but the price is too strong for the color and quality in my opinion.

I think that one had help but that is just one mans opinion. If that coin would have sold on Ebay or Heritage I would have been surprised if it sold for $150. Nice coin but even in a 67 holder it's not worth $270. Certainly doesn't matter as long as the new owner is happy but I rarely tried to bury myself in a coin when I was actively collecting but some folks have no idea what the true market value is for a coin and they just bid and bid until they have no hope of ever getting their money out of a coin.

1) Don't auction winners always pay more than anyone else is willing to spend?

2) Some collectors don't care if they are buried in coins they love.

Lance.

The reason I stated that I was surprised that the bid didn't go higher is because of collectors like DF. All you need are two people who love a coin and you get moon money.

All you need are two people who love a coin and you get moon money.

I agree with this. I had a couple of coins sell on Ebay over the weekend(consignment through Kryptonitecomics) for much more than I had expected to receive. One was an 1880/9-S Morgan Dollar, graded MS64 by PCGS, and it sold for a little over double what the PCGS price guide listed for that coin. It's all about who wants it more and how much they are willing to spend to acquire it.

That is 100% Toning. It looks like a very pretty coin.

There is only ONE variety known for the date, it is only a very minor RPM and with the GC Photos being so freaky small, there is no way to even come close to seeing the variety in the photo.

LINK TO AUCTION FIRM PHOTO SIZE COMPARISON THREAD...that got no attention.

Hmm, well I understand the love of the color and the luster is also excelent, but is it just me or does the obv strike seem somewhat wanting for that grade level??

Yes....I agree. However, I'm not sure it can be just an MS65 either. I'd probably go 65+ but maybe the luster is overwhelming or something and can't be seen in the photo. (shrug)

jom

Bingo!!! Dripping wet luster!

at least 2 people really liked it, and you were not one of them (at least not $300 worth)

lol... too funny! Tough crowd here.. just wanted to know if I was missing something

Since this got brought up again I have a question: Maybe this is just some sort of observation bias but why is it that it "seems" that very nicely toned Merc dimes always seem to lack FB status. I dunno...I noticed this years ago when I collected the series...but it's kind of strange. BTW, I'm only referring to the late dates though....where you can find more of the dates in FB (with exception to 45P of course). Anyway, I've always found that odd....

jom

Since this got brought up again I have a question: Maybe this is just some sort of observation bias but why is it that it "seems" that very nicely toned Merc dimes always seem to lack FB status. I dunno...I noticed this years ago when I collected the series...but it's kind of strange. BTW, I'm only referring to the late dates though....where you can find more of the dates in FB (with exception to 45P of course). Anyway, I've always found that odd....

jom

That's a accurate assessment... I believe a lot of times the softer strikes have great color. Must be something to do with the surface of the coin. Much like a 1958D coin... something the mint did different ....fwiw this coin has better strike in hand than pic leads on...but it is not hammered