• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,473 posts in this topic

Folks,

I am thinking this is really an IHC and a lincoln penny thread, not really a 'copper' thread. Each time I have posted lovely COPPERS that are not of those two categories, no comments, pos or neg, and it appears then, no interest at all beyond the aforementioned types of coppers. So if this is really a copper thread, it would seem there should be some appreciation or negative comments towards these lovely COPPERS that do not fit into the categories above. Oh well I will just keep posting and maybe some will appreciate them and look at our threads on Conder, HT, and Merchant tokes with interest..... (shrug)

Here is another, this is straight from the collection of James Watt Jr. His father, THE James Watt, is one of the primary developers of the steam engine which drove forward the industrial revolution in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Some of the first coppers produced by this lovely device were Conder tokens and British coppers from the Soho Mint. James junior had only choice Conder tokens in his collection that must have been cherry picked in the earliest 19th century, and to have one of that pedigree is truly wonderful. Kind of like a Bass pedigree for gold, but at a very small fraction of the cost because the very rich collectors have largely passed by this complex and varied series of coppers. It is amazing to me that one of the very first uses of the steam engine was to drive coining machines and make coppers for us to enjoy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Watt_junior

Best, HT

DH-6NottinghamNGCMS65RBcomp-1_zps1ff67111.jpg

Edited by Hard Times

Folks,

I am thinking this is really an IHC and a lincoln penny thread, not really a 'copper' thread. Each time I have posted lovely COPPERS that are not of those two categories, no comments, pos or neg, and it appears then, no interest at all beyond the aforementioned types of coppers. So if this is really a copper thread, it would seem there should be some appreciation or negative comments towards these lovely COPPERS that do not fit into the categories above. Oh well I will just keep posting and maybe some will appreciate them and look at our threads on Conder, HT, and Merchant tokes with interest..... (shrug)

Here is another, this is straight from the collection of James Watt Jr. His father, THE James Watt, is one of the primary developers of the steam engine which drove forward the industrial revolution in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Some of the first coppers produced by this lovely device were Conder tokens and British coppers from the Soho Mint. James junior had only choice Conder tokens in his collection that must have been cherry picked in the earliest 19th century, and to have one of that pedigree is truly wonderful. Kind of like a Bass pedigree for gold, but at a very small fraction of the cost because the very rich collectors have largely passed by this complex and varied series of coppers. It is amazing to me that one of the very first uses of the steam engine was to drive coining machines and make coppers for us to enjoy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Watt_junior

Best, HT

DH-6NottinghamNGCMS65RBcomp-1_zps1ff67111.jpg

You have posted some lovely HTT and I if no one else, I should have told you so and for that I apologize,

To all the copper posters you have made this a very enjoyable thread and indeed it is for all copper. Hard Times please keep posting your tokens I have enjoyed them all. They have sparked an interest with me but I can only spend so much and still eat.

wheat

Folks,

I am afraid I have neglected to comment on a bunch of posts. Certainly not meant to slight any coin or medal. I think there are probably more posts that don't get commented on than do.

Looking through the thread there is a good variety copper. I think Indian's and Lincoln's have a few more simply because they are more plentiful. Most collectors probably started off with collecting Lincoln's.

I love your tokens and the history behind them. Keep posting them.

That's a spectacular example, HT. Really beautiful.

I love seeing these pieces. Let's see more. And show us some dogs so we can make some negative comments to keep things balanced. :P

Lance.

Paul, I recognize that one. That is one gorgeous Lincoln. Bob and I were discussing that plenty when it came up for auction. I'm glad someone I know picked it up. I'm still jealous! But glad! :)

Thanks Coindude!

Yes, I got lucky on that 1916 MPL ... for $1850 + 15% bp ... about 60% of guide price.

Just one hole left in my set, never to be filled I'm sure.

Note that all photos are resized PCGS TrueView photos.

Master_MatteProofBlackG$.jpg

Edited by WingedLiberty1

I really enjoy viewing the wonderful MPL's that you guys have. But I just cannot get the bug to collect them because there is no way I could ever complete the series due to the 1909VDB stopper. Anyway the thread needs some love so here is one I have liked for a long time. Not a real important coin but interesting to me due to the lam error on the obv, sits in an old amall ANACS holder as 66RD. More truly a RB today tho.

1920_obv_sm.jpg1920_rev_sm.jpg

Chris is the lamination behind Lincoln's head

Hi Wheat, no its in the field in front of the face, its not a strong or well defined lamination but you see it in mutiple spots where the toning breaks into a bright red. It shows up better in hand than in this pic.

Ankur,

Tell us something about it other than the obvious

Such as?

It's from the Pan American expo obviously. Awarded to JB Smith and Sons. I've no idea for what though. The medal was designed my Hermon McNeil who also designed the standing liberty quarter.