• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,487 posts in this topic

Folks, from time to time I like to throw in an interesting Conder to this copper luvers thread, and remind y'all about our Conder thread over in the World Coins forum.

Best, HT

But first, here is a nice indian I am pretty sure I have not shown here:

1876ICNGCMS64CAC_zps7dd65745.jpg

And here is a lovely Conderr

DH-19NorthumberlandNGCMS64RB.jpg:

Folks, going through my Conder images, could not resist posting one more. (shrug)

This one was won raw at a DNW auction then sent to NGC, you can see it has very interesting toning that makes it appear that the sun is setting behind the castle.

Best, HT

DH-134MiddlesexNGCMS63CFL.jpg

Dads55s.jpgDads55sREV.jpg

My father gave me this coin somewhere around 40 years ago. That made me around 12. With all I have been through I have managed to hang on to it. He just KNEW it would be worth a fortune. He was both right and wrong.

I had it slabbed about a year ago. Came out MS64RB.

I just bought a new camera. I think I will try to re-image it.

I just found my favorite thread in the whole internet. I consider myself an amateur collector, and if I were to have a 'specialty' it would be pennies. It has been a couple of days now that I've been seeing, inspecting and lusting over every picture posted. Thank you all who have and for doing so.

My contribution:

Raw Mexican 1965 5C

WP_20140904_002_zps4970cf49.jpg

4c1f0843-4d23-43b5-8c82-eec1c7d1a8a2_zps80d5cc16.jpg

PP welcome to the boards. A lot of people here who can help you in your journey. Buy a "Redbook" now if you don't have one yet. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

1910Lincolncentngc66rbobvA.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

@leeg - I've recently got the 2015 Redbook. A big update from the ones I had from the 1970s and 80s.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand:

I call this Lincoln my "rescue" because it's a proof that I found in circulation. At the store I work at, I received a roll of pennies. I looked through it, as always, and found this 1988 S.

US1C1988S-Obv_zps6f675c2c.jpg

US1C1988S-Rev_zpsaacb86b6.jpg

Nice indians and lincolns folks. Here is another Conder token. This one is of the 'specious' variety. R.C. Bell defines one subvariety of specious tokens as those that were stuck for collectors with fictitious buisnesses, names etc. They cost more than their face value to make, the goal was to seed these to collectors of the day with works of art as they built their token sets. Some made it to circulation. This one was allegedly for G Bennett of Rye in Sussex, a grocer. An earlier author thought it to be genuine but Bell believes it to be produced by Skidmore for direct sale to collectors.

Only 30 were minted, in 1796 - the obverse die broke pdq. How many are extant today? Probably less. Cost for the MS66? <$1K. Value or what? (shrug)

On the obverse is a pair of scales above a tea chest, on either side is a sugar loaf. The cypher for GB is in the center of the reverse. Interestingly, there is one in the Baldwin's action coming up, which has been sitting in their cabinet for over a half century with everything else they are auctioning.

You see 3 bright spots on the obverse which are reflections of the 3 lights used to image. This is because the fields are convex up like the Mint's new baseball coin. The reverse has flat fields and was imaged with identical lighting set up. I can't help wonder if the convex bulging to the center led to rapid die deterioration. Well with only 30 struck, it is not surprising that the strike is excellent. The fields on the obverse are also prooflike or at least very close to PL, while on the reverse look standard MS.

The Balwins's offering does not appear to be as nice as this one, but when less than 31 exist, does that matter?

Best, HT

1796SussexNGCMS66_zps16cc269b.jpg