• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,473 posts in this topic

Some really, really, nice Lincoln's coinbuf!!

(thumbs u

Thanks Lee, it helps that Mark took the photos as my camera skills leave much to be desired. Here is another from the most recent group I sent to Mark. An unfortunate group of spots or old fingerprint on the obv but nice otherwise.

1914cobv.jpg

1914crev.jpg

When I was real active in coins, Mark did most of my images also.

(thumbs u

As described by R.W. McLachlan in the American Journal of Numismatics, January 1880 (Volume XIV, Issue 3, page 76)

Cartier_token_AJN1880_crop_zpsc9a2931a.jpg

==================================

Short branch variety

1875_Cartier_Canada_Token_NGC_MS63RB_composite_zps59be9e8a.jpg

Some really, really, nice Lincoln's coinbuf!!

(thumbs u

Thanks Lee, it helps that Mark took the photos as my camera skills leave much to be desired. Here is another from the most recent group I sent to Mark. An unfortunate group of spots or old fingerprint on the obv but nice otherwise.

1914cobv.jpg

1914crev.jpg

Chris here is mine 66 rb CAC. One day I wish we could sit down and compare our sets

1914ms66_zps36e72337.jpg1914rms66_zpsb57f25d9.jpg

Maybe someday Wheat, kinda tough to travel with all these coins since the Lincoln series is so long, for now photos will have to do. Sweet looking example you have there. This is another that Mark did in the last group, a common Philly issue but I like this one.

1917cobv.jpg

1917crev.jpg

Edited by coinbuf

Picked these up today at the local monthly coin show, usually not very much in the way of items I collect at this show but I've always wanted at set of these capital holders. Tough to tell from my pics but the 34 is very nice and would grade 65/66.

Capital-Holders-1.jpg

Capital-Holders-2.jpg

And well these were just for fun, a B&M dealer had like 100 of these slabs that someone brought into the store, nothing great at all but for $4 why not.

NNC-Fun.jpg

Think they will cross at 68?

LOCK! haha, no not even close, it was however actually very entertaining to look thru that whole group. Of the three I did buy the 56 is quite decent and I would grade it as MS65, the other two more like 63/64. The 40-D is nicely toned with target bullseye toning on it, if you like that sort of thing. I figured I'll use them to stick into the new capital coin board.

Edited by coinbuf

LOCK! haha, no not even close, it was however actually very entertaining to look thru that whole group. Of the three I did buy the 56 is quite decent and I would grade it as MS65, the other two more like 63/64. The 40-D is nicely toned with target bullseye toning on it, if you like that sort of thing. I figured I'll use them to stick into the new capital coin board.

you know our discussions about toned lincolns

Yep I do indeed.

Yep I do indeed.

Can you share? I don't collect copper as evident from my error when naming my new 2c piece and I would love to learn more, especially about toned copper.

jpcienkus; I think that the prices for some of the toned pieces have gotten rather spendy, and because imo that segment of the market is rather thin it may not be smart to pay the sometimes large premiums that are being asked for copper with color. I have seen many, and even do own a few toned copper coins that are very eye-appealing, I just don't think that most are worth spending big bucks for. I tend to think of toned copper as damaged copper because the toning is reacting with and changing the surface of the coin. But unlike silver coins where this can be dipped off once this reaction starts on copper there is no going back.

Wheat and I are pretty much on the same page on this subject, for those who like the toned copper look thats great, its just not a part of the market we participate in and have been surprised at some of the prices we have seen toned pieces sell for.

Edited by coinbuf

jpcienkus; I think that the prices for some of the toned pieces have gotten rather spendy, and because imo that segment of the market is rather thin it may not be smart to pay the sometimes large premiums that are being asked for copper with color. I have seen many, and even do own a few toned copper coins that are very eye-appealing, I just don't think that most are worth spending big bucks for. I tend to think of toned copper as damaged copper because the toning is reacting with and changing the surface of the coin. But unlike silver coins where this can be dipped off once this reaction starts on copper there is no going back.

Wheat and I are pretty much on the same page on this subject, for those who like the toned copper look thats great, its just not a part of the market we participate in and have been surprised at some of the prices we have seen toned pieces sell for.

Some other coins like the 1995 W PF70 Silver Eagles selling for 90k is nuts. But for the toned copper, if they like the coin and will pay a heavy premium they can go ahead because it floats their boat.

Thank you for the help. I'm working on a 7070 type set and will need to buy more copper and your insights and experience are greatly appreciated. It will definitely save me in the pocket book.

Joe

Thank you for the help. I'm working on a 7070 type set and will need to buy more copper and your insights and experience are greatly appreciated. It will definitely save me in the pocket book.

Joe

Happy to help Joe, but one thing to keep in mind with regard to my comments is that I'm talking about Lincoln cents. With the older copper in a 7070 type set you will need to have a different mindset because unless you have unlimited pockets it will be very hard to buy early date red large and half cents. And I would encourage you to find a dealer that knows that material well so as not to end up with processed coins. In my 7070 set I have a mix of nice BN for the early dates and then mostly RB for the later lg, half, and indian head cents.

Here's a closed 3 I bought recently to complete my IHC set. PCGS doesn't require it but the NGC registry does.

I thought it was nice color for a RB.

Lance.

1873Closed3PCGS64RBobv.jpg1873Closed3PCGS64RBrev.jpg

Here's a closed 3 I bought recently to complete my IHC set. PCGS doesn't require it but the NGC registry does.

I thought it was nice color for a RB.

Lance.

1873Closed3PCGS64RBobv.jpg1873Closed3PCGS64RBrev.jpg

(thumbs u

Nice selection you got there 10/10

Thanks Lance, it's a PCGS 64RB. I loved the strike, but as you can see it has a few marks on the bust and the color is somewhat dark and subdues the luster thus limiting the grade. I have another 28-S that I also like, in fact I cannot decide which one I like better. This one is not as crisp as the first but I like the overall color better, also a 64RB.

1928Scobv.jpg

1928Screv.jpg

Edited by coinbuf

Some real 'lookers' all throughout this thread.

(thumbs u

One I used to own:

161COBVA1.jpg