• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on two Buffalo Nickels, please :)

10 posts in this topic

Hello again,

Just picked up two new Buffalos for the collection. As usual, thank you for your time!

First is a 1916 "Two Feathers" obverse variety. It has some PVC on both sides that may come off with an acetone soak. I'm guessing somewhere between VG and F.

1916BuffaloNickelTwoTailFeathers-Obverse_zpsddd91316.png

1916BuffaloNickel2TailFeathers-Reverse_zps54bfa893.png

Second is a 1937 D that I believe to be the D/D/D South/East RPM-005. I'm guessing somewhere north of MS65...and hoping it will turn out to be a 66* or 67.

1937DBuffaloNickelRPM005-Obverse_zps2baf39ef.png

1937DBuffaloNickelRPM005-Reverse_zpseb3c6dc6.png

1937DBuffaloNickelRPM005-MM1_zps23b0aba7.jpg

1937DBuffaloNickelRPM005MM2_zps67655f78.jpg

1937DBuffaloNickelRPM005MM3_zps92eeb4bc.jpg

The 1916 looks like a Fine to me.

The 1937-D looks like a 65 (or perhaps a 66). I don't think it deserves a star or a grade higher than 66. That is based on the darker areas on the Indian's cheek, central hair and forehead.

VG on the 1916, as far s the 1937D I'm not up on the varieties so I'll refrain comment on the mintmark. But something is up with the cheek on the obv and I do not beleive that it has any chance of a 66 grade.

Well, first off thanks to those who have offered up opinions so far. In hand, the MM looks closest to the RPM-005, which is a D/D/D with the extra MM to the South and East. There is a lot going on in that area on this coin...

In any case, at $7 for the pair, I'm doing well no matter what is going on with the MM. As I have a couple more coins that need attribution, I'll probably end up sending it to John Wexler to see what he says.

I would grade the first one VG-10. The second one is nice coin, the dark areas on the Indian's cheek and hair are either toning or a spot of envelope friction. Given that I would go no higher that MS-65.

Hey everyone - an update:

The 1937 D/D/D was correctly attributed as RPM-005 by both James Wiles and ANACS, which gave the coin an MS64 grade. Should have shipped back on the 31st, so I expect to have it back within the next week or so.