• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1952 Roosevelt Tough One posted by Gelhaus Collection

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Toned Proof 68* Cameo Photo Shoot

I have been working on upgrading my photos for my Roosevelt dimes. I added shots of the doubled die varieties to my Roosevelt Proofs 1950-64 Including Varieties and that was a challenge. However, my latest coin I have been working on exceeded the challenge of the varieties. The photos below are a 1952 NGC Proof 68* Cameo. The coin has dark blue toning on the obverse for the top one-third and literally toning overall the rest of the obverse and the reverse. Trying to get photos that showed all the toning fields is for me a real challenge. The photos below are the ones I uploaded to my Registry sets. I thought I would just share them and get comments or suggestions on the photos.

14302.jpg

See more journals by Gelhaus Collection

That dime has some pretty dark toning!! Try getting a pic with direct sunlight reflecting into the lens at the right angle to still keep the coin in focus. I have found that the brightness sometimes dilutes the toning a bit and shows other colors.

Good Luck---Rick

Difused indirect light from multiple sources is key, I believe. Also, some sort of hand held refector or shield to direct or difuse light to help to better reveal toning. Photographing indoors with mutiple light sources would seem a better practice too me, as a way to manipulte your light source to achieve the best effect. While outdoor photography presents other problems such as time of day and weather, but just my opinion.

All the best,

Larry

My set up is indoors. I am using two halogen lights each with a diffuser on most coins. This coin in particular I used just one light with the diffuser and tilted the coin toward the light. The light is up fairly high, about two feet. Then I tilt the camera lens to be perpendicular with the coin. I tried many, many angles, light diections, and camera positions. The toning varies from very dark blue to rust color. Any way it has been a challenge and I am going to give it a break.

My set up is indoors. I am using two halogen lights each with a diffuser on most coins. This coin in particular I used just one light with the diffuser and tilted the coin toward the light.

I would say then that you should try both lights. One light is showing the toning but you want to get to the dime itself with enough light to reflect back off the dime through the thick toning.

J.M.O. ----Rick

It will be great to see again after you get a good pic of the reverse!! That red, white, and blue looks like it will show a nice cool pic when you get it figured out.