• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a little PVC?

6 posts in this topic

Glad to see this forum up! It may not be the liveliest place, but there's some great stuff to put here!

Some time ago, I had NCS curate a couple of buffalo nickels that I had won in a B&M auction. One (I think I once posted) I deem the "smoking Indian" obverse, as it looks like the noble Indian has a cigarette burn on his lips and the PVC (polyvinyl chloride) on the coin was so thick, it almost dripped.

Here's the obverse (see attached). Can you believe this was graded MS66 by PCGS?

Hoot

589a8ab2dd608_101131-1915T2Buffalo5cMS66PCGSobv.jpg.aac17b7902e4601b48e06387a587f0ac.jpg

Hoot,

That's a pretty astounding contrast! Did you elect to take the grade preservation guarantee when you submitted to NCS? The result is fantastic in any case.

Beijim

Beijim - Yes, I used the grade guarantee but NCS called me and told me that they would not conserve the coin with it. The PVC, etc., was so thick that there was not a good way to tell what the surfaces were like beneath. I simply was not going to want the coin if it was returned and I also thought that it deserved to be free of the chemicals that could ruin it in the long-term. So, I released the guarantee and it turned out marvelously. I did a similar thing on a 1925 Stone Mountain that had the ugliest toning you've ever seen. I inspected that coin VERY carefully before i submitted it, however, and it graded MS66 ---> MS66. Turned out lovely. NCS does a great job.

Hoot

Wow! NCS did a super job. That coin needed all the help it could get!! It is hard to think that PCGS would have slabed the coin in that state!?!?

Wow, Hoot, thanks for the additional info. Your success stories are inspiring, and I'm glad the PVC removal revealed such a nice example. Congrats!

Beijim