• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC now gives the STAR for MS70/PF70 coins??

7 posts in this topic

I thought coins graded ms70 or pf70 cannot get a star, regardless of their having a nice color or strong cameo..

CHECK THIS COIN OUT

From NGC's website:

STAR DESIGNATION

NGC assigns a * to coins with exceptional eye appeal for their assigned grade.

Eye appeal is the most subjective attribute of a coin, but there are norms and standards shared by numismatists. Exceptional eye appeal may include attributes such as vibrant, colorful toning; intense luster; or, in the case of Proof coins, especially strong cameo contrast. To receive a * , coins must be free of any obvious planchet irregularities, and display no bothersome spots or blemishes. Toned coins can be of a single color or multicolored but cannot have any areas that are dark brown, approaching black.

It’s important to remember that designated coins can fall anywhere within the grades to which they are assigned. For example, an MS 64-graded coin could be at the lower end, mid-range or higher end of that grade.

NGC applies the * to qualifying US coins in its normal course of grading. It is not used for non-US coins. As they are already of the ultimate grade, any coin graded MS 70 or PF 70 will not be eligible for the * . Coins already certified by NGC can be resubmitted and reviewed for using the Designation Review Service.

I believe the star in this case is for an exceptionally strong obverse cameo, bordering on UCAM. It is not for good eye appeal. I think in this case, a 70* Cam is still allowed.

This dual meaning of the star is one of the designations biggest problems, and leads to excessive confusion.

I believe the star in this case is for an exceptionally strong obverse cameo, bordering on UCAM. It is not for good eye appeal. I think in this case, a 70* Cam is still allowed.

This dual meaning of the star is one of the designations biggest problems, and leads to excessive confusion.

I agree with this explanation.

I guess you're right..

Though NGC said :

"ANY coin graded MS 70 or PF 70 will not be eligible for the * "

Maybe I didn't read it right

Thanks!

Perhaps a grade of "70 CAM*" would be more appropriate, in such case. I would personally believe that NGC should designate the "star" with the cameo designation rather than the grade. In fact, regardless of grade, perhaps a designation of "CAM*" would be most appropriate to clarify the "reason" for the *.

I would wonder how many would prefer an "MS67 CAM*" over an "MS67* CAM"...