• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reflection on being "out of coins" for the last 6 years.

17 posts in this topic

I miss many aspects of being out of the coin biz for the last 6 years. I miss coin shows; seeing old friends, the thrill of the hunt and the excitement of finding a treasure, almost wrecking the car trying to look at it at 80 mph, the satisfaction of capturing a perfect image of a fabulous coin, the enjoyment of gazing upon a spectacular gem and wondering how it made it to the current moment in such miraculous condition and relishing the honor I had in owning so many amazing coins.

There are a few things I don't miss, however.

One is the never satiated desire for more coins; I never had enough; they were never good enough; I always wanted more, more, more.

Another thing I don't miss are the repercussions of over-spending that naturally occur when you are a coin addict.

Funny thing; I look forward some day to being "in the game" again!

(One thing I have enjoyed in these past 6 years is collecting images of great coins. It's fun and free.)

Adrian

Being in the game now:

1. I miss being a collector where I didn't care what I paid for a coin because it was going into my personal collection. Now I have to be very careful not to over spend or I won't make a profit.

2. I miss adding nice coins to my collection....now if I get a good deal on a coin it just means more profit but I am not financially comfortable enough to horde coins like I did as a collector.

3. I hate having to take as much as humanly possible from problem buyers who in many cases don't have a clue but want to file cases against sellers every time the sun rises. To keep Top rated status/Power Seller....you have to put up with the nastiest messages from buyers.....take returns 2 weeks later, take returns that unexpectedly show up at your door unannounced.

Pro's:

1. I love my consignors and always enjoy making them a lot of money :headbang:

2. I make my own hours and work from my home which means more time with my youngest. <3

3. I am my own boss...no more corporate BS policies and HR breathing down your neck even when your doing the right thing :censored:

If you ever make it to FUN again Adrian...hit me up and we will do luck (thumbs u

Hi Adrian.

I miss the wild coins you used to post. Some cool gems for sure.

I also miss your crazy, pot stirring threads. I mean that in a good way.

Those were some great times. Hope you make it to the next Fun show as well.

Has your eyesight improved? I'm finding mine ain't so great with all that is required. I ran into a collector today at Stew Leonards who is heading up to the Albany show on Sunday. There is a show in Marlborough, MA today and lots of others coming up.

All though you were the core of the enterprise, Brandon (Poorguy) deserves some credit for the amazing gallery of eye candy. Has it been that long already? Time flies.

Hi Adrian.

I miss the wild coins you used to post. Some cool gems for sure.

I also miss your crazy, pot stirring threads. I mean that in a good way.

Those were some great times. Hope you make it to the next Fun show as well.

Thanks! Yeah, back in the days when the PCGS forum had an open forum, there was a lot of great pot stirring going on. It seems like coins were the funnest thing then; maybe when I get back into buying and selling, it will get fun again.

I even remember a few fun posts from years ago; I made up a story about a female coin dealer who got angry that I got a consignment instead of her, she later got arrested and showed up in the same clothes at a coin show after getting out....I think she still hates me! It was mostly in good fun...

I also remember an ebay auction I ran with an Accugrade Liberty nickel in 67 that got thousands of hits...

I also remember some coins.....Proof 69 Ultra Cameo Barber Half, Specimen 65 Wreath cent, MS63 Draped Bust Dollar with Small Eagle, MS 65RB Elephant Token...

All though you were the core of the enterprise, Brandon (Poorguy) deserves some credit for the amazing gallery of eye candy. Has it been that long already? Time flies.

Oh, yeah, I totally agree. He and I were a great team together. We're still good friends....someday we'll pair up again...you wait and see; my prediction is that it will be in less than three years, and it won't end until we're old dudes.

He's still the smartest person I have ever met.

And yes, it's been about six years or so since I sold my inventory.

By the way, anyone who wants to hook up with me on facebook can do so by sending me a friend invite to me: I am on there as "Ana Conda" but the best way to find me is search for my facebook email address at adriancrane@rocketmail.com or go to this link:

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealAnaconda

Also, I administer the Facebook page Rare US Coins:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/USrarecoins/

I have hundreds of awesome images of incredible coins in my facebook account and on the US Rare Coin account.

I would love for you to come back! That would be outstanding. Last I talked to Brandon that was a goal of his as well. I'd like to ask one favor though. As the brass of the company make sure all customers are treated equal... I can think of two times I was offered a coin only later to find out Wayne wants it and I can't have it... very aggravating to me... So basically I was " allowed" to purchase Wayne's "droppings"

Well, I can certainly understand that any unfair treatment would put a sour taste in your mouth. I must admit I was unaware of anything like that happening. When I get back into the biz I'll make doubly sure to not let anything like that happen.

By the way, what is your icon Morgan graded?

Snake, I miss not only your coins but also your write ups. The coins were frequently beautiful; the descriptions of them were often hilarious.

I purchased only 1 coin from you, a MS66 Lexington, but it is definitely a good looking commemorative. I hope it won't be too long in the future until I can purchase a second coin from you.

By the way, anyone who wants to hook up with me on facebook can do so by sending me a friend invite to me: I am on there as "Ana Conda" but the best way to find me is search for my facebook email address at adriancrane@rocketmail.com or go to this link:

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealAnaconda

Also, I administer the Facebook page Rare US Coins:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/USrarecoins/

I have hundreds of awesome images of incredible coins in my facebook account and on the US Rare Coin account.

I put in a request to join your group........:-)