• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Morgan.. Awsome colors!!!

14 posts in this topic

I just used a simple program called PhotoImpact and basically just lined the photos up into one... sized it down some and it came out nice. Program is only like 50 bucks or so... then I went and added the black frames around the coins... They have a nice frame adding deal..... But hey for only $40.00 bucks I was not going to pass on the coin smile.gif Thx for the comments smile.gif

The luster on the reserve is not bad when seen with some good light, but shows some breaks in it... The holder looks like it might have been dropped mabye causing that toning.. allowing some air or something..but I like the toning so.. it all works out smile.gif

The more I look at the holder the more I think it is the source of the toning... I holder is kinda flemsy.. I don't think it was tampered with, just dropped making the outer area losea dn therefore letting in air... The coin does not move at all, but I wonder if it will continue to turn more color or go black? Also what yall think about the silver spor up top on the coin? part of the metal reaction or something else?

I'd send it for re-holder.

The light spot on the reverse upper right is a fingerprint/smudge. Those often cause toning to break or do funny things.

I still like the coin. Some fingerprints just don't bug me.

Hoot

yeah I was thinking the same thing... send it in for a reholdering..... and at the same time I will prolly crack this one out and send it back in ... It needs a new holder and prolly a new grade...

Pics...

608451-1881s.jpg

Most of the scratches you see are on the holder... makes the coin look worse than it is... but it has very good luster and the strike is awsome so I think.... I am not sure but I see alot of morgans that look dipped, or other things... I am not sure if it is the pics or what but alot of the one I see up for auction, just don't seem to have that original look to them, which is not messed with at all... Alot look like they were givin bath's before being sent in. Mabye I am totally wrong...

608451-1881s.jpg.dae0ed96e50909a68e880459bdc3b11a.jpg

From what I can see in your first image, there isn't much chance that this coin toned because of a crack in the holder. This looks very much like original bag toning that occurs through years of exposure to the sulfer in a burlap bag.

What kinda 2nd Light would that be? Sun and OTT? Would that work? or OTT and Flood?

Tom Thanks... I am not a big toner expert.... but just the way the slabbed looked and how it looks like it was started on the right is what made me think that.. but you are prolly right .. thx for the info smile.gif