• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new coin from a coin show in Kyoto, Japan

17 posts in this topic

Took an hour's drive to Kyoto this morning to attend a coin show....there were as many as 13 tables there!! wink.gif Felt dizzy to see how small the show was, but managed to pick up one coin(attached). The show was very small, but I saw many gold coins from 19th to early 20th century......might have something to do with the recent news that Japanese goverment decided to sell 32,683 gold coins minted between 1871-1932?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Traffic in Kyoto was heavy as usual and that's why I hate Kyoto.

download.php?Number=606143

606143-1RII.jpg.c6cd0a6575245fbb5f8e9308e2d11355.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures, Hoot.

The coin is "1 Rin" whitch is the smallest denomination of Japanese monern(post 1870) coins....1/10 of "1 Sen" and 1/1000 of "1 Yen" so you can take it as 0.1 cent.

"1 Rin" was minted from 1873-1884 and mine is dated 1874(Meiji 7)

Obverse shows chrysanthemum in the center, whitch is a symbol for Japanese emperor. Reverse characters read "one rin"

especially the price
Kirei desu Taro-san.

JNDA catalog value ¥5-7,000 (~$45-65) is typically much higher than Krause. If you ever get tired of it let me know, as my Meiji 7 rin is both much darker and more worn. smile.gif

That rin looks like it survived the ravages of time very well, indeed!

Didf you even make it to the Long Beach show a couple of weeks back?

-JamminJ

Roy-san. I paid about $35 for it. If you are willing to pay that amount, I'll try to find one for you at the next local show.

JamminJ- Our family decided to pass the Long Beach Show this year. We were given negative opinions on taking a one year old baby to a long distance trip ...maybe next year.

GDJMSP-I would like to forward your question to satootoko or someone else wink.gif

Hoot-diameter of this coin is 15.75mm(a bit smaller than half dimes), weight is 0.91g....I like small coins laugh.gif

JamminJ- Our family decided to pass the Long Beach Show this year. We were given negative opinions on taking a one year old baby to a long distance trip ...maybe next year.

If your going to trek to California for a coin show next year you may want to consider attending the ANA show rather than Long Beach. Biggest show of the year it's held in late Summer and in San Jose in 2005.

-JamminJ

Hoot-diameter of this coin is 15.75mm(a bit smaller than half dimes), weight is 0.91g....I like small coins laugh.gif
\

Wow! About mid-size between a silver 3 cent piece and a dime, but weighs less than half that of a dime and barely more than a silver 3 cents! If this is the Japanese equivalent of our "fish scales," is it termed a "carp scale?" insane.gif

Hoot