• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MintProducts.com???

16 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever viewed this site or done any business with them?

MintProducts.com

Their price on 2004 PCGS MS-69 2004 Silver Eagles is real cheap, so I assumed that meant they were not a reliable dealer. But I thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.

If the coins are in reputable grading service slabs then how can they not be on the up and up?

Those guys have been selling for a long time and I haven't heard any complaints about them. They are cheap because they sell inexpensive products. For example, most slabs cost more than a silver American eagle coin (business strike, not proof).

Hoot

Their price on 2004 PCGS MS-69 2004 Silver Eagles is real cheap, so I assumed that meant they were not a reliable dealer.

Perhaps Melanie just got finished reading the Legend Hot Topic article? 893whatthe.gifboo.gif

Why would you assume since the coins they are selling are cheap they are not reliable?

Sorry Jom, I didnt intend to sound so synical crazy.gif If you have seen any of my previous post, they mostly consist of how I have "bought the coin before the book". In other words the kind people here have tried to keep me from getting ripped off and their main lesson was if it sounds too good then it probably is. I really depend on everyone's knowledge here. An example was the $100.00 I almost spent at ncmint.com that promised authenic coins which turned out to be replicas. That thread is here somewhere. So I now ask my new friends here before I ever purchase from a site.

As a note if I haven't told any of you lately, thanks grin.gif

Didn't mean to imply you are cynical. You are correct in that the coin business can be a shark tank. My best suggestion to you is to go to as many coin shows as possible and LOOK at as many items as you can. You can look and not buy anything. It's FREE! You will then get an idea of what is nice and what is not.

Go to an auction lot viewing. There you can not only look at many coins you can compare them to others within the same series. And...it's FREE!

I would recommend (although it will be hard to avoid) NOT to buy ANY coins until you get a good "feel" of the market. At the very least do NOT buy ANY coins sight-unseen.

The coin market is very confusing and even after 12 years I still haven't figured it out...probably never will since I'm not IN the business.

jom

Thanks for the advice. I cant believe I put synical vs cynical. That's what a few hours of sleep will do to you foreheadslap.gif I have, unfortunately, purchased coins from ebay, thus sight unseen so to speak. However, I have been lucky that my purpose was not to ever sell them so I can have the lower grades as opposed to trying to build a collection for monetary value. I will do that in the future when I am more skilled. I have been trying to get a collection of various coins for an album that I am giving my father for Christmas. His coins that he once owned were not slabbed nor does he know the difference between G versus MS-66. He just likes old coins especially silver dollars. I have actually almost filled 4 mini albums and some of the coins I will ask him to keep as I have put them in safety flips first because later I may submit them for grading. Some may not be worth only their weight in silver but others look actually quite beautiful. This is why I ask so many questions here because everyones knowledge and opinions have helped me to learn and fall in love with the art of coin collecting.

Jeff Kiestead runs that company, and it's really an offshoot of his main coin dealing operation (I'm not privvy to EXACTLY how he has things set up). He's ok, and you shouldn't have a problem.

I would even dare to say you wouldn't have a problem. I've never had even a hint of trouble dealing with these people, although I don't buy that mint product material. smile.gif

I have bought from them before and mostly Canadian Maple Leaf Privies. There was no problem with the coins and shipping was fast. I have bought mint sets from them a long time ago and they too were OK. They have been around awhile as far as I Know and that is also a good sign. They also take payment from PayPal.

PapaG

Well, I purchased twice before in the past from them, the first order everything was GREAT. The second order their shipping department screwed up and taped the five coins together and the gooey stuff from the tape didn't come off the coin cases. Just over 30 days ago, I placed an order for over $1200.00 from them with some very simple instructions, took them almost 2 whole weeks before they made a partial shipment to me. The instructions: they had Libertads 1982-2000 advertised as dates was their choice, so I placed my order for 18 and requested that they not duplicate any dates. They also had my permission to reduce my quantity to the number of dates they had. Come to find out they only had two dates, 1982 and 1983. How hard is it make an adjustment and get the shipment out?? I just emailed them this morning requesting the balance of my shipment (over 30 days old) to be shipped to me or refund the unshipped items. Their reply was, one coin has been shipped and we'll refund the other to your credit card. In the future, I intend to do my shopping for coins elsewhere, at least with someone that has what they advertise in stock and don't jerk their customers around for 30 days plus. Hope this helps someone out there that has questions about them...