• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1797 Flown hair silver dollar? expert help please?

23 posts in this topic

Anyone can help determine what this is. I found a few of these in a coin box that my late Grandfather had left me. I think they are flown hair dollars but not sure. I would consider selling one of them possibly.

IMG850_zps8698225e.jpg

From the Reverse picture that you posted, it appears you have a Draped Bust dollar. A picture of the Obverse would be helpful as well. I do question the authenticity of this coin though. Hopefully someone here with a little more knowledge of this series will be able to help more.

Posted both sides of the coin. I am not an expert at all on these. I don't want to sell and get ripped off so any help will be appreciated. I have another one too I will take pics of and post a little later.

How does one tell the difference between a authentic one from a fake?

Once you have seen a good number of genuine examples, as well as counterfeits, differences in their appearances will eventually become apparent. It might be due to design detail nuances and/or differences in strike and/or a different texture to the surfaces. Some counterfeits are easy to distinguish, while others are very difficult.

Often, when I see a coin and realize it's counterfeit, I don't even specifically know why - but my eyes and brain are telling me that something is "off".

Here is a link to a genuine example for sale on EBay - See here

Wow. Real ones are worth that much?!!!

What specifically gives it away as being a fake? In this case

The stars and numerals in the date look off to me, and although the photographs do not permit me to examine them in depth, the surfaces look off to me as well. I agree with the others that it is a counterfeit.

I'll give ya a buck for it (for the S/H) since its illegal to sell....

For my counterfeit collection :-)

To my knowledge, it has not been established that it's illegal to sell counterfeit coins (as long as the seller does not attempt to sell them as genuine items).

Q

I'll give ya a buck for it (for the S/H) since its illegal to sell....

For my counterfeit collection :-)

Only if the buck is 19th century

Coin Facts states this - " A complete "set" of 1797 die varieties consists of but three coins, 1797 Stars 9x7, Large Letters (BB-73); 1797 Stars 9x7, Small Letters (BB-72), and 1797 Stars 10x6, Large Letters (BB-71)."

The coin in the OP shows Stars - 8x7. (shrug)

It is a not very well done counterfeit of a 1797 Draped Bust, Small Eagle dollar. The looks like a poorly done Chinese copy, but I'm not an expert on the origins of counterfeits.

Here is a genuine example of a 1797 silver dollar.

1797DolOS1.jpg1797DolRS1.jpg