• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HAVE YOU EVER? posted by Eagles-R-it

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NAUGHTY OR NICE!

Has anyone ever bought a MS70 or PF70 "slabbed" coin from one of the other two not so popular grading services, because you got it really cheap, and broken it out of its holder and sent it to NGC in the hopes of getting a MS or PF 70 out of it?

Will anyone ever admit to doing that? I wonder.

I just thought I would put it out there for conversation.

Have a great one everybody, and thanks for listening.

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

Nope, while I have coins in both ANACS and ICG holders, I don't own any 70's in those holders, nor have I bought them. Furthermore, for the time being, the coins I do own in those holders are staying right where they're at since they are details graded.

Gary

Yes, I have! I routinely test certain graders against the primary two. I purchased a 70 graded Susan B Anthony coin as a test subject and it came back as a 67! I only paid the $1 face value for the coin and grading education more than offset the grading cost I incurred.

Well.....this doesn't involve 70 graded coins, but I know a collector who bought a Kennedy Half, I don't remember which date exactly at the moment but it was a business strike as an ANACS MS66 which got a MS68 at PCGS...........