• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some neat ERROR bicentennials

4 posts in this topic

Hey Errorist, The seller of these coins also has a nickel with a piece of it missing. What causes this type of error. And why are they valuable?

plancket clip

Where do you do your research to define the value of a certain type of error?

I have read multiple post by you and you seem very enthusiastic about your "errors" I just wanted some info on why you are such an enthusiast about them? grin.gif

Mel,

A planchet clip occurs when the steel rods used to punch out the blanks from the metal strip made of the coin material overlaps a portion of the strip that has already been punched. There are curved,straight,ragged,incomplete,and elliptical clips. Sometimes it is possible to have a coin with multiple clips and they usually have higher premiums.

The red, and black book has a price guide in them for many types of ERRORS but not for die cracks I guess they consider them as VARIETIES since they are not listed in the books as ERRORS.

I like the ERRORS/VARIETIES because for me they are more unique then your regular graded coin.A flawless (MS-70, PF-70) coin is hard to come by, but to find one with an error is even harder to come by. They are in a class all alone. It is possible to have MS-70 or PF-70 coin that is an error/variety coin. It is extemely rare to have such a coin, but they do exist.

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif