• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closing in on the Obscure One - GSA Soft Pack Addition posted by GSA_Gem_Quest

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

1892-P GSA Soft Pack Added to My Collection

Today I added an 1892-P Morgan Silver Dollar in the GSA soft pack to my collection that is ranked number two. There are only 2 graded in the soft pack, so this is a rare one indeed. This coin is also the highest graded coin for this date in the GSA soft pack.

I am closing in on the number one graded set, which I refer to as the Obscure One. Why? Because his set is OBSCURED from my and everyone's view.

Who owns the other graded coin? Does the Obscure One own it? I don't know because his set is OBSCURED. I cannot see his coins.

Does the Obscure One win the registry award every year? Yes. How does he do it? I don't know because his set is OBSCURED. I cannot see his coins.

Should NGC ban the Obscured One's obscured sets from competition and from any registry set awards? YES! Why? Because they are OBSCURED and I cannot see his coins.

Memo to NGC: BAN ALL OBSCURED SETS!! WHO NEEDS THEM!!

14071.jpg

See more journals by GSA_Gem_Quest

Calm down, calm down. Take a deep breath, a swig of strong coffee-- or, another good drink-- and then count to ten. Better? (thumbs u

I am certain the powers-to-be at NGC has heard your, ummm, request.

Besides all of that, you have a great looking coin. I have one GSA Morgan Soft-pack.

Congratulations on your newest coin in your collection.

Semper Fi !

Jack

If you go into the registry awards and click on that obscured set for 2011 and earlier it will show you what he has registered in the set. I also agree with the disadvantage of competing against an obscured set but at least you can go back in the registry awards and see what they have.

Maybe NGC will on day enhance the registry and list the obscured sets separately, kind of a Hall of Fame. Possibly keep the top 10 all time sets that are obscured for each category available for viewing but out of the active scoring.

Rich

Its not that hard to do the math and figure out what a person has. Look what certain coins are worth and do a comparison.

I was in the exact situation with my 2nd place Mexico Charles III 8 Reales Pillar Type set so I emailed the 1st place owner and asked to reveal the set. The owner responded and made his set public.

Of course, if the owner has his email turned off in his profile, that won't work.

~jack

Most Obscured sets are a security reason for those afraid to show others what they have. I enjoy showing the sets that I have obtained over the years and glad I don't have such a phobia. A few sets are at some top ranks and to get to the top you eventually need to pass them. It's simple math and just add the points you need to pass them up but don't reject them due to their way of presenting their set!!

Just My Opinion----Rick