• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1827/6 Bust Half....

20 posts in this topic

Just picked this Half up at the local Farmers/Flea market. It does have mint luster around the devices, but appears thumbed around the black patches on both sides. So, any opinions would be as a "details" grade. So, what would you grade her at? Thanks in advance for any and all opinions!

1827-6_zps3e7a0c14.jpg

1827-6R_zps73a5cee9.jpg

The details grade is Choice EF, but it has been cleaned and has those spots. I'd say that it is worth F-VF money, but some collectors would prefer to have a no problem F-VF than this piece.

Still it's not a bad coin, and perhaps it will get some toning over the next several years that might improve its appearance.

Thanks all!!! She does show more luster than the pics imply, but is noticeably rubbed. I had her at between EF and AU. I do realize she won't pull a full value as a non-problem coin, but with her being an overdate variety and the guy only asking $70 for her, I couldn't pass her up. Thanks again for everyone's input!!!

Thanks all!!! She does show more luster than the pics imply, but is noticeably rubbed. I had her at between EF and AU. I do realize she won't pull a full value as a non-problem coin, but with her being an overdate variety and the guy only asking $70 for her, I couldn't pass her up. Thanks again for everyone's input!!!

A coin that has been cleaned like this one will not have any remaining mint luster. The “shine” you are seeing is from the cleaning . $70 is reasonable for this coin.

Thanks again to everyone. I do have another question regarding this coin. I've read here about using acetone to remove grime and such from coins without harming the surface, does anyone here think this would help to at least clear some of the greasy look on the reverse and maybe the black spotting? Or would it just make matters worse?

I would throw it in an album or coin envelope for several years. While the coin will never make it into a problem free holder, toning would potentially improve the coin's appearance. I would grade the coin EF details, cleaned, environmental damage.

I never used acetone on silver coins.. Only on copper.

try E-Z-est with a cotton swab and a soft cloth

Why not? I have heard of people not using acetone on copper for a variety of reasons, but I have never heard of anyone being concerned about using it on silver coins. An acetone bath can do a silver coin a lot of good.

I never used acetone on silver coins.. Only on copper.

try E-Z-est with a cotton swab and a soft cloth

Why not? I have heard of people not using acetone on copper for a variety of reasons, but I have never heard of anyone being concerned about using it on silver coins. An acetone bath can do a silver coin a lot of good.

yeah possibly.. i didn't say "DON'T use acetone", i just stated that i myself never did. i always used acetone on copper but never tried it on silver before