• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Want a CC DMPL Morgan

22 posts in this topic

I would like a CC DMPL Morgan for my prooflike type-set. Which dates are more common? Which dates have the deepest mirrors? If you were going to buy one for your set, which one would you look for - and why?

A few criteria: I need at least a 65 DMPL, and it needs to be affordable (less than $2k, $1500 would be preferred).

Bonus round: if you would choose another coin instead of a CC, which would it be and why? Same criteria - less than $1500 and at least 65 DMPL.

For $1500 you can get the common dates 1882, 1883 and 1884. The others would be more pricey.

Based on rarity there are many others dates I would choose. Also be very picky on a CC DMPL, they are common so hold out for a very nice example. Dont settle for average mirrors.

There are a number of dates that will be within your price range. Rather than choose one of them in advance, go for the specific coin that stops you in your tracks and talks to you.

Edited to add: I agree that Don would be an excellent source and he's a really good guy, too.

There are three Carson City issues that are readily available in MS65 DMPL that are around your price range. These include the 1882-CC, 1883-CC, and 1884-CC, and excellent coins with very deep mirrors can found with a little patience. Sometimes you can pick them them up for a bit under $1,500, but the best examples that I have seen that have excellent mirrors and maybe even a touch of cameo contrast were around $1,600- $1,800. My advice is don't buy the first one you see. There are a decent number of premium examples that can be found with a bit of patience and are affordable as well.

Also, you may be able to find a PL * coin with near DMPL fields. This would bring other dates within your price range. I picked up a nice 1878-CC in NGC MS65 PL for around $1,500.

One example a 79-S in 65DMPL will be cheaper and the pop is 1/3 that of the CC counterparts in that grade. 1886-P, same thing.

My CC examples in my set are lower grade, but black and white. Search out for good mirrors on these issues.

If the overall goal is to obtain a high grade DMPL, I would think an 1880 S DMPL in MS66 could be obtained for the price you listed. Those early S minted coins are known for their excellent strikes and, with patience, I bet you could find one that you would be very happy with. Also, the early S minted coins seem to have been graded with an added degree of scrutiny, in my opinion, so most of them had to earn the grade.

Good luck in whatever you choose to pursue!

If the overall goal is to obtain a high grade DMPL, I would think an 1880 S DMPL in MS66 could be obtained for the price you listed. Those early S minted coins are known for their excellent strikes and, with patience, I bet you could find one that you would be very happy with. Also, the early S minted coins seem to have been graded with an added degree of scrutiny, in my opinion, so most of them had to earn the grade.

Even common S mint mark MS66 DMPL coins will exceed $2,000. Also, while the coins are fine if you are completing a date set (as I have dabbled with from time to time), if I was only going to buy one coin, I would rather it be a CC personally.

The 1880-S, 1881-S, and 1882-S coins are also exceedingly common, and if I was going to fork out $2,000 for one, I probably would add a few hundred more and buy a normal (non PL) MS68 coin.

Even common S mint mark MS66 DMPL coins will exceed $2,000. Also, while the coins are fine if you are completing a date set (as I have dabbled with from time to time), if I was only going to buy one coin, I would rather it be a CC personally.

The 1880-S, 1881-S, and 1882-S coins are also exceedingly common, and if I was going to fork out $2,000 for one, I probably would add a few hundred more and buy a normal (non PL) MS68 coin.

NGC price guide, which is always higher than I would expect to pay is at $1950 for an 80S DMPL in MS66 and has consistently come down in price over the past several years. With patience, I think it's an obtainable piece at that price. I agree that they are common but most of them are beautiful in comparison. I've just seen too many CC's that were given something that wasn't earned. ( Of course, that didn't stop me from purchasing 5 of them! )

Again - JMHO

Some great advice here, guys, keep it coming.

The coin I'm looking for MUST be DMPL (no star-PL's, no non-PL's) as this is for my PL type set. I want a stunning example of the most commonly available PL type coin. I like the CC because CC PL's in other types are very scarce - it would be cool to have a CC representative somewhere in my set, and the Morgan seems like the easiest place to get it. Even New Orleans is easier to get in PL on other types.

I'm in no rush on this piece, I'm mostly doing preliminary research to help me narrow down future searches.

I had the same desire a couple years back and went with a very clean common date CC in an OGH 64 and I think that is the way to go.

Research on this is mostly back-breaking effort looking at thousands of pieces until you find the one that meets your personal criteria.

agreed don rinkor is the best!! when it comes to dmpl morgan dollars

the one of the most common if not the most common gem dmpl is the 1884-cc

make sure you get ultra deep mirrors and a strong cameo contrast between the devices and fields it might take some time but you can do it with an 84-cc make sure you get ms65 and make sure it has the "halo affect" around the eagle on the reverse and miss liberty on the obverse also make sure it is a "roll fresh" coin in other words has a blast white but somewhat thick original skin to it in other words you dont want a dipped out coin no matter how good "so called good" it looks also you want a really strong cameo to the coin STRONG which means ultra deep mirrors yes with all of the above you will pay 75-100% more for one like this but if you ever go to sell you will get all of your money back quickly if not more and since we are talking about this premium go with a rather high ens ms 65 coin also pcgs is the ONLY WAY TO GO for various reasons i will not get into here

also you get a decent cc mintmark to boot

81-s morgans with the contrast i am talking about with ultra deep mirrors is a really rare coin in ms 64 65 dmpl and with the 80-s it is not as rare as the 81-s with these qualities but it is a scarce++ coin

so go with the coin that is not only the most common date to find dmpl but a coin that you might be able to find with the above qualities i advised you to buy and without much premium unless you find a true screamer from a top known retailer like don but then you will have to pay up but i think don is your best bet to call and ask him you find you an 1884-cc with these qualities i first mentioned above you will not be disappointed and it will not only hold its value but increase

the problem is they are not impossible to find but man oh man with lots put AWAY deep in collections never to come out in my lifetime and many in japan it will take some time and if found it will be costly but worth it

so take your 1500 and add more to it and get the right coin dont buy something that "aint all there" so to speak from my point of view

good luck

and yes many dpl morgans in ngc holders aint even close to dpl and also many many tons of green holdered dmpl morgan dollars dont today with todays changed standards because of all the price increases dont make dmpl today with both sides or one side

this is why you see so many dmpl morgans pcgs in auction and on the bourse as they will never be broken out and/or sent back for payout for various reasons i will not get into here

obama needs a tarp plan for pcgs and ngc for buying back dmpl morgan dollars that aint all there for dmpl and dont get me started about the slab grades but that is not for here today as we are talking dmpl morgans

good luck

you're gonna need it

like i said buy the best of the best leave the rest

if you cant afford such a coin in ms 65 dmpl with all the qualities required then buy a very high end 64 with all the qualities i mentioned dated 1884-cc

That is fantastic advice, michael.

Could you explain more about your comments regarding PCGS? Send me a PM if you would rather, and avoid derailing the thread.

That is fantastic advice, michael.

Could you explain more about your comments regarding PCGS? Send me a PM if you would rather, and avoid derailing the thread.

Michael does bring up an excellent point about buying coins in older PCGS and NGC holders. The PL and DPL/DMPL standards were considerably more lax then than they are today and many coins would loose their designation if resubmitted today. Many of the older DPLs may only be PLs, etc. Only buy sight seen (and if from the internet, make sure you get a good return privilege). You might even consider a CAC verified coin. ;):devil:

Also, even though old ANACS is a bit more lenient with its PL/DMPL designations, I wouldn't completely rule these out. ANACS also had a third designation that was UDM (ultra deep mirror prooflike) that had standards much more stringent than their DMPL standard of the time. If you go to a show and can evaluate the coins in hand, you might find an excellent coin and save a bit. You could always crack it out and submit it to NGC yourself.

Edited to add: I posted this because I thought it would be helpful and germane, and it wouldn't derail the thread.

From what I have heard CAC goes along with the designation unless they really disagree, CAC on a DMPL doesnt say much about mirrors.

There are definitely a good share of old holders in tombs when it comes to DMPLs. Standards seem to have bounced. You may really need to see it on hand or have someone you trust look at it.

Remember, you are looking for this:

5.jpg

7.jpg

Todd, that is a gorgeous example even with it's faults.

This is why I own so many 63/64 DMPLs now, to me the mirrors are more important than technical grade. I have downgraded a few coins to go for the better mirrors