• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barber Dime Identification Assistance Requested

9 posts in this topic

Repunched Date

It is NOT in the Cherrypickers' Guide and it is NOT in the DLRC book from 1991. I 'picked this at a show yesterday and did not exactly lay out my CPG on the dealer's table you know so I bought it and realized later that it was not the FS-301, FS-302 or FS-303.

Does anyone have Kevin Flynn's Barber Dime book to see if it is in there?

I guess if it isn't in there and no one has seen this before then it might be new and certainly worth millions of dollars! :roflmao:

In hand it is easy to see at the top of the "1" and under the entire left side of the "7." I really can't tell if there is something going on with the 8 but I think there is. I would have to get a toothpick, dip it in some MS70 or acetone and then gently massage some of the grime out of the date to really have the best view of it. Hmmmmm

1897_RPD_VF30_RAW.jpg

Simply going by the 1, since the other numerals are not clear, it does ot match any of the 5 listed RPD's in Flynn's "The Authoritative Reference on Barber Dimes".

So, if there is ever any update, which I doubt, it would be #6, nice find

Nothing too exciting to photograph it. Nikon D300 with 105mm Macro lens. To get the date I attached 2x Teleconverter to the 105mm. I used a tripod for the camera, light stands to hold two lights. I stood the coin up on a book shelf and photographed it. That's about it. Photoshop CS4 to put the graphic together. :)

I too want a Dino-lite 5MP version. It would just make life a lot easier when getting close up pics of varieties. For the entire coin though I would stick with my camera setup.

Thank you so much for checking! Can you see the underside of the 7 in my pic?...the pic of just the date, not the full coin.

yes, also not listed

Much appreciated! :)