• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A technical question about Coin Shows.

13 posts in this topic

It seems that in the mind of many promoters, shop owners, etc., there is a good deal of pairing up the two separate collecting fields of Comics and Cards. There are far more shops that deal in BOTH Comics and Sportscards, than shops who deal in either one or the other. Not all too uncommon are the shows that promoters tout as Comic & Card shows, selling tables to Comic dealers and Sportscard dealers. No actual fisticuffs erupt between the two different factions in attendance, but let's face it, some comic people look down their noses at the Sportscards people as slime, and I've heard of some close calls!!!

What about STAMPS and Coins??? Do you guys usually have to share the same spotlight with the STAMP people? I've seen lots of Stamp and Coin shops listed in Yellow pages, and seen shows advertised as STAMP and Coin shows (with usually the STAMPS getting TOP billing!). Do you Coinees ever have a problem with, or look down your noses at the Stamp guys? Any interesting anecdotes about sharing the spotlight at a show?

For the most part coin shows are just coin shows. I have seen the occasional combining with stamps/cards/comics but that is usually for very small back woods shows where there isnt enough turn out for one segment. In my area coins tend to get top billing with currency the secondary showing. The very large national coin shows are just coins with no side billing.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The thrice annual Long Beach show includes stamp dealers, but it's a pretty quiet area of the bourse. Philately has an aging hobby base, much more so than with coins and cards. frown.gif

There would really be no contest between the stamp and coin folks - the stamps are so easily licked. tongue.gif

(Sorry) Hoot

I have attended a coin and GUN show. Truly an interesting experience. Needless to say, everyone was on good behavior. It was interesting to watch a collector sit down at a dealers table, put his newly purchased 44 magnum on top of the dealers case, and asking what kind of deal he could get on a proof set. Weird.

Andy laugh.gif

We have a couple "stamp and coin" here in San Diego....never have seen any stamp folks in there though.

I think Mr. Lange hit the nail on the head...I believe the stamp community is aging more rapidly than the coin community.

I've seen several "stamp and coin" stores in the Los Angeles area. They are usually run by old timers. Occasionally you'll see a stamp/coin/card shop or a stamp/coin/card/comic shop.

I collected stamps from about age 9 through 13 or so. "Stamp and Coin" stores were the norm back then (70's), but the "stamp" part just gradually faded as the money gravitated to coins and the commercial market for items such as plate blocks and first day covers just died. Today it is rare to find a coin store that has any stamps at all..... I scratch my head over this because I still think stamps are cool but it seems there is no infrastructure of dealers to support an active market.

At the Tacoma coin show it was half coins and half Sports cards.....

At Long Beach, Heritage had some KILLER Golden age comics on display, and the stamp guys were kinda shoved into a back corner.....

Although many dealers run stores that have stamps and coins, the two usually do not mix well at shows. Shows are either primarily stamps or primarily coins. If a promoter tries to mix the two, one of the them usually does not do well.

Some coin show promoters are so adimate about not mxing the two that they will not let dealers show anything but coins, coin supplies and MAYBE a piece of jewelry. Stamps are frowned upon and comics and sports cards are forbidden.