• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

collecting US coins

7 posts in this topic

I wanted to post a note to see if anyone out there is like me and likes to collect US coins but does not spend a fortune in collecting them. I spend approximately $15-35 on a coin. If a coin runs $50-60 and I need it, I will spend the money on it. Unfortunately, my collection does not consist of a lot of coins that run $200-300 each. I believe there are collectors out there like myself, and I would like to get in touch with them. If you collect US coins from half cents to modern Sacagawea's , please feel free to private message me so we can make contact. Dave cool.gif

Hi Dave - I think you will find a lot of folks around these boards that follow a similar tact in collecting U.S. coins. Many nice 20th century sets can be built for that kind of cash. And if you are into dark side material, it's amazing what you can get for a few tens of dollars.

Hoot

I think my collecting is more of a barbell pattern, I love to find neat stuff under $50, but I also spend quite a bit on my Saint set! Very few coins in between!

I like the cheap stuff. The most expensive slabbed coin I have purchased was $40. The most expensive raw coin was $30. I'm sure when I have more money I will buy more expensive coins, but for right now I won't spend much. Alot of times I'm lucky and buy a cheap coin and find out later it's worth more than what I paid. smile.gif If you don't mind my boasting I'll tell you my best purchase. I'd say my best purchase was my 1964 PF68 Cameo Kennedy. I paid $17, PCGS price guide says $89.00! I was a mighty happy camper after I saw that!

A local dealer that I goto always has a box with half off coins on his counter, I cherry pick this box all the time. I found some killer toned Roosie's for 1 dollar each and I especially love getting cheap proof Frankies!

I half albums full of the stuff. Most of the clad coins, I pulled out of pocket change and rolls from the bank. The older material, I purchase slowly at shows, filling out the common dates first, then filling in the keys when I can afford them.

Right now, I have a circulated set of copper, nickel, and silver US coins going, complete for dollars 1900-present, half dollars complete from 1916 to present, quarter dollars complete from 1925 to present, dimes complete from 1923 to present, nickels complete from 1919 to present, and cents complete from 1910 to present.

I'm somewhere near there when it comes to coins. I don't spend like a big spender because I ain't one! smile.gif Now, though, for my Morgan dollar collection I do end up spending some serious money (for me) now and then. But so far I've never spent more than $220 on a silver coin. And not that often. Most of mine fall in that range, but I can be shrewd and get good deals. Found a nice walker for $20 that was marked AU but I new better. It was a nice crescent toned MS-64 walker (as PCGS recently confirmed smile.gif )

Neil