• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK.. one more GSA.. What say you? GRADES ARE IN FROM NGC

18 posts in this topic

i'm sorry for small pics again.. these are once more the seller's pics

i'll try to upload better pics when i get the coin

asking for your opinion of the grade, and the eye-appeal :)

thanks!

NGC GRADED IT MS64

It's still kind of hard to tell but, I have a feeling the toning is going to be much nicer than the previous pictures indicated.

Looking forward to seeing your images. :popcorn:

It's still kind of hard to tell but, I have a feeling the toning is going to be much nicer than the previous pictures indicated.

Looking forward to seeing your images. :popcorn:

You know, I feel the same.

My pics won't be any good for showing the colors, but I'll try to at least show the detail.

Thanks

It's impossible to estimate a meaningful grade. I will say that there are enough marks visible, especially on the cheek, to limit this coin to a grade of MS63 or lower. In the eye appeal category, it has potential, but I would want to see better pictures before further comment.

It looks like there is a long, vertical scratch on the front of Ms. Liberty's face, which would limit the grade to MS-63 and perhaps to something lower. The toning on the reverse is "exquisite" only if there is lots of mint luster coming up off the piece as you swirl it under a strong light. If it is dull with little no luster, the coin is mediocre at best.

Since the piece is not marked as "Uncirculated" on the holder, the GSA viewed this piece as a circulated coin at the time that it was sold. Don't feel too badly about that. Toned pieces ended up in the "other dollars" bin when the GSA graded it.

I'm sticking by MS63. The reverse, however, could use an improved photo to determine whether it is in fact "star worthy." Also, is there a lot of luster under the toning?

lots of luster. i'm really bad with pictures (especially toned coins) but here:

Due to the cheek marks I believe it would be limited to 63 but the reverse is exquisite.

My sentiments exactly.

Based on the images provided, I would not grade the coin a 63. The vertical obverse scratches on Liberty's cheek look too severe for such a grade.

If the marks on the cheek are just contact marks, with no depth to them, MS63 with maybe a * for the rev. If those marks are scratches and not just light contact marks, MS62

Nise die clash on the reverse too, though not uncommon....

MM

Based on the images provided, I would not grade the coin a 63. The vertical obverse scratches on Liberty's cheek look too severe for such a grade.

What would you grade the coin? Would you call it MS62 or lower, or would you bag it/place it in details holder?

What would you grade the coin? Would you call it MS62 or lower, or would you bag it/place it in details holder?

My best guess is MS62.