• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Coin, New Pic ! Updated new pics!!!

16 posts in this topic

I haven't had much time to play with my new copy stand I bought a couple months ago. Tonight I finally played with it a little. I'm still using my Canon IS S3. I bought a canon T4 a while back but haven't tried that one yet. How do you think this looks? Thanks for any suggestion, critique, etc... Btw, this is in the slab.

TxComm_zpsc285159e.jpg

Looks great! Very good job on the imaging and I like the coin too!

One thing I would maybe change is the background color. I like the black background for blast white coins, or very bright toned coins, but on a darker toned coin (yours is just a little dark, I like the original patina) I prefer brighter colors on the background.

Great picture nonetheless!

One thing I would maybe change is the background color. I like the black background for blast white coins, or very bright toned coins, but on a darker toned coin (yours is just a little dark, I like the original patina) I prefer brighter colors on the background.

That's my fault, I'm partial to the black backgrounds. lol

I think the black background makes the coin stand out a bit more. When you are looking at the coin your eyes aren't distracted by brighter colors and you can focus more on the coin and less on what's around it.

What are you using for lighting?

As the coin looks a bit under lit.

The copy stand came with two lights. They are the real bright 30w coiled lamps. My eyes aren't the best anymore and it's a little hard seeing the clarity on the little display screen. lol. My T4 will hook to my computer but I haven't set that up yet.

First of all, I really like the coin. It's a nice specimen.

I think you need a little more light in the 12 to 3 area of the coin. As for the background, I like the black background when the coin is blast white. In this case, maybe a little more light will help bring it out some more. Have you tried a Navy Blue background? That might work well for this coin.

Either way, you did a nice job and I really like the commem.

Yea I need to work on the lighting more. This was my first attempt a while back before I got my copy stand. The lighting I was using just made the coin look much more gold colored than it actually is.

1934TxComm.jpg

What are you using for lighting?

As the coin looks a bit under lit.

The copy stand came with two lights. They are the real bright 30w coiled lamps. My eyes aren't the best anymore and it's a little hard seeing the clarity on the little display screen. lol. My T4 will hook to my computer but I haven't set that up yet.

I thought that TX looked familiar below is my pic when I had it listed shot under 75 watt GE halogen PAR30 interior floods. Today I'm using 300 watt halogens as in my experience the more light the better. Also the older NGC slabs have the coin recessed in a thick piece of white acrylic. So you need more light or you can slap the slab against your leg to get the coin to move up against the clear acrylic and then back to do the other side.

io1xt0.jpg

I forgot about that trick. It's been quite a while since I've been able to sit and try to pic some coins.

Yeah it works well for 1 or 2 coins...

Do it for a box of 20 and someone might call DYFS after seeing you the next day! ;)

A nice example.

Coin designed by Pompeo Coppini.

PompeoCoppini.jpg

One of his original designs that were rejected by The Commission of Fine Arts:

Texas_Combo.jpg

:roflmao:

So I hooked up my Canon T4 with the remote shoot on my computer. Dang I can see it soo much better. I took these new shots. Does it look better than the first? I also added a PL Morgan that I have.

TxComm_zpse3db6f64.jpg

PLMorgan_zps7d4dc0e3.jpg