• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is it we're stuck with the same boring modern designs?

12 posts in this topic

In the past, it seems that it was much simpler for circulating coin designs to change and be innovative. Why haven't we overhauled things like the obverses and reverses of the cent (104 years), five-cent (75 years), dime (67 years), or quarter (81 years)?

Okay, it takes an Act of Congress, literally...so what...aren't they even scratching their heads and saying the same thing by now?

Strictly speaking, the unchanged designs in order of "oldest to newest" are:

As of the 2013 issues:

Lincoln cent obverse, essentially unchanged since 1909, in its 105th year.

Washington quarter obverse, essentially unchanged since 1932, in its 82nd year.

Jefferson five-cent reverse essentially unchanged since 1938 (with a couple years of exception), in its 76th year.

Roosevelt dime is the oldest combination obverse/reverse design unchanged since 1946, this year is its 68th year.

Kennedy half with unchanged obverse/reverse designs is in its 50th year since first issued in 1964.

Jefferson five-cent obverse has been the same since 2006, making this its 8th year.

Lincoln cent reverse changed in 2010, making this its 4th year.

Washington quarter reverse changes every 2.4 months (five designs per year).

==========================

All of that being said, I agree with you. I really wish we'd see some completely new designs. All of our current coinage from 50C down through 1C have at least part of the design that is at least 50 years old.

:(

-Brandon

Technically speaking the Dime is the only coin unchanged for 67 years.... The rest have all had make overs of some sort

68 years: You have to count the starting year as well. So (2013 - 1946) + 1 = 68.

Think of it this way, if the Lincoln cent has been the same reverse since 2010. It's 2013 now. That's not 3 years of designs, it's clearly 4 (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013).

Technically speaking the Dime is the only coin unchanged for 67 years.... The rest have all had make overs of some sort

68 years: You have to count the starting year as well. So (2013 - 1946) + 1 = 68.

Think of it this way, if the Lincoln cent has been the same reverse since 2010. It's 2013 now. That's not 3 years of designs, it's clearly 4 (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013).

okay I can agree with that... I was just pointing out that it needs a redesign in the worst way...... longest running design right now. I didnt however realize how close the kennedy is until you pointed it out

I think there have been enough changes with the statehood qtrs, park qtrs, nickle obv, cent reverse. Then the addition of SBA's, Sacs, and Prez Dollars and Don't get me started on the colorized bills. :insane: It's getting to where you have to really visually inspect everything you hand out or receive to make sure you giving or receiving everything you should be!!

Well since the Sec of the Treasury won't exercise his power to order a change in designs, it will take an act of Congress. And that points out the problem with having the dead Presidents on the coins. What politician wants to go on the record as calling for the removal of Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, Roosevelt, and Kennedy from the coins. We saw what happened when they tried to redo the nickel in 2006. We HAD to keep Jefferson, and they wrote into the law that the reverse of the five cent piece has to depict Monticello in perpetuity.

Much of the blame lies with Congress, which has chosen to inject itself into coinage details.

Dead Presidents designs = zzz

I think it might have a lot to do with politics...where certain states don't want their people removed from the coin like Jefferson/Virginia as an example.

jom