• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is up with the high premiums on everything?

37 posts in this topic

If the high premiums are not warranted by the market, the items will sit in inventory. Eventually the sellers will lower their price because smart business people don't want their working capital (cash + inventory) tied up in unproductive, dead stock.

Prices do tend to be "sticky downward." In other words when the price of something drops after a previous high price some sellers don't lower their prices thinking that they will recover. If they don't recover within a reasonable period of time, most will take their losses, if they have any, and move on.

" What is up with the high premiums on everything?"

While there are, no doubt, high premiums for some things, the thread title presumes a situation that does not exist. ;)

...I agree. title of thread seems just a hair off of the plum bubble. :popcorn:

While there are, no doubt, high premiums for some things, the thread title presumes a situation that does not exist. ;)

The title is pretty straight forward, its not hard to figure out, there are way to many people over charging right now for precious metals, and after reading a lot of peoples opinions on here, its very obvious that the people that are selling at these high premiums realize most people don't know any better and will pay it just to rush into the silver market while the prices are lower.

To me its stupid to pay $30 for a silver bar that's only worth the spot price of silver. I understand a few dollars over for profit, tha'ts normal. To pay $8 over for bars that are not specialty items like Pamp bars or Govt.made Rounds makes very little sense.

The title is pretty straight forward, its not hard to figure out, there are way to many people over charging right now for precious metals, and after reading a lot of peoples opinions on here, its very obvious that the people that are selling at these high premiums realize most people don't know any better and will pay it just to rush into the silver market while the prices are lower.

To me its stupid to pay $30 for a silver bar that's only worth the spot price of silver. I understand a few dollars over for profit, tha'ts normal. To pay $8 over for bars that are not specialty items like Pamp bars or Govt.made Rounds makes very little sense.

All right, let's try to see if from your point of view. At what price over spot do you think that the average person should be able to buy good name brand one ounce silver bars and/or rounds? For economies of scale let's assume that the sales are in ten ounce lots. Let's also assume that payment is in cash or check with no chance of a bad check, so that we do not have to figure in credit card premiums. What is a fair premium over spot per ounce?

The title is pretty straight forward, its not hard to figure out

...I guess I wasn't clear, my apologies. but your title implied that EVERYTHING has high premiums as opposed to precious metal/bullion coins. just sayin' (shrug)

The title is pretty straight forward, its not hard to figure out

...I guess I wasn't clear, my apologies. but your title implied that EVERYTHING has high premiums as opposed to precious metal/bullion coins. just sayin' (shrug)

It does say "everything," and this is a U.S. coin forum.