• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Bullion and American Silver Eagles?

30 posts in this topic

I just started collecting Silver Bullion and would like some advice on some good companies to get my bullion from in the US. I heard about a few, but some of these companies are charging alot for shipping or a high premium on some of the bars they are selling.

I found Silvertowne and Scottsdale silver as 2 good companies so far. I noticed that Ebay is way high right now compared to the spot price of silver right now. Any advice would be appreciated. Also is it worth buying American silver eagles?

Both solid company's , but with PM prices as they are, shipping times are longer than usual. I like www.usgoldbureau.com if your buying bulk and want a fast turnaround. If your not in a hurry silvertown is great, as you can lock in at current spot prices. Also I found if you call APMEX they beat there advertised prices and ship fast.

Its funny but right now silvertowne is delivering in 7-10 days which is considered fast right now due to the silver shortage. Others are taking up to a month. Ebay is charging way to high because of the faster shipping time.

Ebay is high because people are trying to get out where they got in.

A lot of good suggestions. Monarch Precious Metals and Goldmart are also good choices. I would avoid ASE's unless you can get them at a good price. Currently ASE's are selling for a high premium over melt value and when you sell in the future, you may not get that high premium back.

Consider also joining the PCGS coin forums. There is a Precious Metals forum there with a monthly BST (buy, sell, and trade) thread dedicated to precious metals.

I love all the great advice I am getting back, I am kind of a sucker for Silvertowne because of the free shipping.

Also Scottsdale silver because of the beautiful 10 OZ stackers they make, only bad thing about them is its taking 3-4 weeks for delivery from them.

I am starting to protect myself against hyperinflation, so I want to get in before silver makes its big jump again. A little nest egg for me and my fiance.

This is the article that leads me to think silver will jump based on these stats, take a look.

Silver $100?

$100 silver talk has been tossed around a lot in the last few years. I believe silver will hit $100 but the question is when. 5 years? 25 years? 50 years?

My guess? November of 2019. :insane:

This is the article that leads me to think silver will jump based on these stats, take a look.

Silver $100?

$100 silver talk has been tossed around a lot in the last few years. I believe silver will hit $100 but the question is when. 5 years? 25 years? 50 years?

My guess? November of 2019. :insane:

Sure, but when do you think it will be sub-$20? My guess is before the end of 2013.

I heard some negative things about APMEX, they have had issues with shipping times and also not sure I like their deals on silver, its not that great. Some of the other sites mentioned here seem to have a better set up about them and better deals overall.

I've never had any issues with APMEX. Their pricing is competitive. I've also purchased from JM Bullion out of Chicago. I was pleased with their service level and pricing.

If you just want to buy silver bars, I suggest buying name brand bars as they will be easier to sell in the future. APMEX has a large variety of well known silver bars.

Its funny but right now silvertowne is delivering in 7-10 days which is considered fast right now due to the silver shortage. Others are taking up to a month. Ebay is charging way to high because of the faster shipping time.

100% agree.

They maybe trying, but that doesn't explain why they have bidders at that price?

I believe they're just ignorant bidders myself.

To me I think its people trying to buy as much Silver as possible with all the talk of the dollar falling. I would call it a panic almost. People are paying $7-$8 more then they should be on some cases, mostly $5 over melt.

There is no reason to pay even a $5 premium per ounce. On coins like ASE, I have seen $3.25 and I believe someone else here mentioned they paid $2.75. On bars, 100 oz I have seen for either $1 or maybe $1.25 over spot. I have seen premiums of $7 and $8 on Ebay and I consider them absolutely absurd.

Even the premiums I quoted, the ASE premiums still seem too high to me based upon "normal" conditions. There seems to be a shortage which does indicate "panic" of a sort. This is ironic in a sense because from the price and rate of change, silver is "oversold" technically which is normally an indication of at least a temporary bottom.

However, these premiums which I consider excessive hardly indicate that. They indicate that despite a decline of almost 60% from the May 2011 high near $50 to the recent low of $20, there is still a lot of long term optimism, at least among the retail buying public.

I was watching some youtube videos about silver and gold being manipulated from companies like JP Morgan and others, if you noticed based on what the videos are saying, the prices tend to rise once the NYSE closes and the foreign exchanges recoupe the losses from the hold back that our government and companies are doing to the current market. Russia for example bought gold when it was at the $1800 mark, now they cannot recoupe the current loss they took because our government is playing the system.

Yes, I have haeard about that. Even if it is true, that would be a temporary factor and not a permanent one based upon intra-day trading patterns. The same claims have been made about other assets, so there is nothing unique in it and it certainly does not support any claims that silver (or gold) should be selling for substantially more now.

The only gold the US government buys is for the coin and medal programs.

The market manipulation is entirely from private businesses - just like most of the theft of personal information.

I have been buying silver bullion from Aydin Coins for awhile now. Aydin Coins

Their prices are better than Apmex, they ship fast, and they have a customer points program like MCM used to have.

I just made a purchase of 20 1 OZ Scottsdale Silver Omnia's and for the pricing it was well worth it. I got them for $491 + $6 shipping so under $500

Some of the sites listed on here are probably good sites, but I personally like Silvertowne and Scottsdale the most so far based on pricing.

http://store.scottsdalesilver.com/product/29/Scottsdale-Omnia-Silver-Rounds-20-oz