• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storage questions

10 posts in this topic

I have collected for years, grandpa started me. I inherited his collection that was in bank rolls and in a safety deposit box for over 50 years. I now need to protect these new coins. At airport security some of the bank wrappers were opened and the coins were lose. These Morgan silver dollar were uncirculated as far as I know. I need to store them properly. Suggestions? I tired to search the boards for an answer, but got lost.

Unless you HAVE to, dont take the coins with you every time you go on a trip. I would hate to have my rolls open on security check (don't they have x-ray? Or someone to feel up the roll lol)

For Morgans, or any loose coin really, 2"x2" non PVC flips (cardboard) work the best for me. Ones with staples, not self adhesive (they open). Just watch for rust on the staple, it's very easy (and cheap) to change them once in a while.

For rolls, I keep them in a U.S mint canvas bag, in a cool and dry place and just let them sit. Some coins have been sitting in the mint's vaults for decades in these bags, so I figure they should be ok..

One other thing you might want to consider is where you store them. You mention a safe deposit box. Absent sentimental reason which might exist for you should the coins be stolen, I would evaluate the cost of paying for one versus the value.

Many years ago, a former boss of mine told me that he had stored a date run of modern US proof sets in a bank box. When I showed him how much they were worth (this in 1998 or so), he could not believe he had wasted that much in fees all those years.

The storage is for home. But the bank rolls are so old that when they are handled, the rolls broke. So how I re-roll the coins? Plus I need to take a coin or two to a local dealer for appraisal for possible grading in the future. 200 coins is a lot. Grandpa was born in 1893, and he has had these coins for many years. My Aunt has kept them sense 1978 in a safety deposit box.

The 150 uncirculated 1964 Kennedy half's are another story.

If these things are uncirculated just minimal handling has an enormous effect on their eventual grade.

Go to a coin shop, spend $10 on 2X2 flips and thank me later.

BTW, ONLY handle these coins by their reeded edge.

There are a number of plastic tubes that hold a roll of coins securely.

I'd go to Wizard Coin Supply's website and look around at what they offer.

Are you planning on selling these coins in the near future or putting them back into a safe deposit box for another 35 years?

Personally, if you're not going to take an active interest in the coins, then I'd recommend selling them.

On the other hand, if you're going to keep them for a long time, then you need to focus on "archival quality long-term storage options"

Depending on what you have, stapled cardboard 2x2s might not be what you want.

Dave is right, stapled 2X2's are very undesirable. Staples and coins are a terrible pairing. What I'm referring to are flips just to be clear.

The roll tubes are a great option also for bulk. I'm just not crazy about coins ever contacting one another.