• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP PLEASE: Canadian coin pattern/trial strike coins

4 posts in this topic

I had posted a similar question in the world coin forum but I only received one response with no follow up, so I figured I would try again here (higher viewer count). My question is if there is a list of trial or pattern coins for Canada? I have had a very odd looking 1920 canadain large cent in my collection for a good amount of time now and I have been unable to find any info on it. I would love to post pictures but the internet is down at my house and as such I'm trying to use my phone to do this and as such I'm not sure how to attach photos using my phone (please ignore spelling errors the keys are tiny!).

Here are the two coins in question.

1. 1920 canadain large cent weakly struck, uncirculated struck in white metal with a large die cud on the obverse. This one weighs more than it should at 5.9 grams. The surfaces are not shiny and are rather dull, with what appears to be die Polish lines?

2.1850 Bank of Upper Canada 1 penny token, this one appears to be struck out of white metal as well, strong strike, uncirculated, this coin also weighs more than the average coin (15.4-15.5g) it weighs right at 16 grams. This is a new purchase and I'm just now starting my research on this coin.

Any information or tips would be great I'm currently unaware of any comprehensive lists of trial/pattern coins for Canada so any information on those coins that I diet mention would also be very haelpful. Thanks in advance for any information, and thanks for.reading.

I have a Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian coins, and it has about 40 pages of patterns, trial pieces and official fabrications. It has them listed by Charlton numbers and Bowman numbers. I do not see what you describe, but think there must be a couple more comprehensive books by both of those authors.

Thanks forthwith responses, I will work on the photos but doing this on my phone makes it rather difficult. Thanks for the book references that really helps, I was aware of the guide book but I had no idea the pattern section was so extensive. Thanks for the info.

Don.