• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sending mint sets to ngc

16 posts in this topic

I have some 1950's proof sets still in mint packaging that I would like to have graded. Does anyone know if there is any special way I have to package these (ie labeling the coins) prior to shipping?

Nope. You can leave them in the mint packaging if you like, but probably best to take them out and put them in 2.5 x 2.5 flips.

Given the fact that unless they are super high grade or cameo, they are probably not worth spending the money to get graded.

Nope. You can leave them in the mint packaging if you like, but probably best to take them out and put them in 2.5 x 2.5 flips.

Given the fact that unless they are super high grade or cameo, they are probably not worth spending the money to get graded.

I agree with both points.

If there is toning involved, leave the toned coins in mint packaging to eliminate the chance of an Artificial Toning mis-determination. Unless they are Cameo or very high grade they are not worth getting graded.

I would have to say that even coins in OGP can and will get AT'd. I've had it happen to me. The most beautiful 65 dime I had ever seen, completely rainbow, came back as PVC damage, and when NCS finished conserving it, it came back ugly over dipped and in a 65 holder. So don't think just because it's on original packaging it will come back without problems.

I would have to say that even coins in OGP can and will get AT'd. I've had it happen to me. The most beautiful 65 dime I had ever seen, completely rainbow, came back as PVC damage, and when NCS finished conserving it, it came back ugly over dipped and in a 65 holder. So don't think just because it's on original packaging it will come back without problems.

Yikes. The doctors can and will find a way.

Who says the "doctors" had anything to do with it? It was probably a case of the TPG grader feeling the toning, which could have been completely natural, not looking right so they called it AT. Then the NCS screwing up the "conservation" (It does happen.) I'm sure a lot of NT coins get returned as AT, and some AT coins get slabbed as NT. And often if it gets called one it can be resubmitted and come back as the other.

Remember when the graders get the coin it has been removed from the OGP and they just see the coin in a 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 flip. They have no way of knowing it came in in OGP.

I've even seen a case of a proof set being submitted in OGP where one of the coins came back bagged as a counterfeit. Probably a case of a grader getting behind and just assigning random bodybags in order to catch up. After all the company gets paid anyway, and if the coin is resubmitted and they will get paid again.

I agree with all points made...I have sent in plenty of toned proof coins still in the cello and several have been body bagged as AT as the coins are removed from the cello before the graders even see them. Right now NGC is body bagging a lot of legit coins and under graded a lot more. For the first time in all my years of being a member I would not recommend sending coins to them right now unless you can afford to take the hit or either grades or Body Bagged NT coins...they are simply too tight right now to justify the cost. :sorry:

I am not aware that mint set existed in the early '50s, they were referred to as "boxes". I don't think that real mint sets were available until the early '60s and proofs sometime after. I have a collection that dates back to the early '50s and have never found mint sets that can be authenticated for that time. Let me know if you find different.

In the meantime, I am in research of US Proof Mint Set for '82-83. To the best of my knowledge the '82/'83 mint set were only sold in the gift shops of P&D.

Recently, I was told of a '82-S & '83-S. I don't believe these exist, but I would appreciate any enlightenment. TIA

I am not aware that mint set existed in the early '50s, they were referred to as "boxes". I don't think that real mint sets were available until the early '60s and proofs sometime after. I have a collection that dates back to the early '50s and have never found mint sets that can be authenticated for that time. Let me know if you find different.

In the meantime, I am in research of US Proof Mint Set for '82-83. To the best of my knowledge the '82/'83 mint set were only sold in the gift shops of P&D.

Recently, I was told of a '82-S & '83-S. I don't believe these exist, but I would appreciate any enlightenment. TIA

Your information is incorrect for the most part and that's ok because this is the place to come to learn. The mint has been issuing proof sets since the late 1800's though the practice wasn't in mass production and coins weren't sold to the general public until 1936 and very few original sets survive today. Mint sets I believe began in 1947 and continue thru today.

The mint did issue Proof sets in 1982 and 1983 and there were mint in San Francisco so they have the S mint mark. The mint did not issue Uncirculated sets as you eluded to but there were special sets for those years that could be purchased directly from the US mint gift shop.

As an added bonus...I am going to link a few early proof sets in this thread...

1890 10-piece proof set

1895 6-piece proof set

1856 9-piece proof set

and here is a 1947 US Double Mint set still in original packaging...

1947 US Mint Set

Right now NGC is body bagging a lot of legit coins and under graded a lot more.

I sent my last coin to NGC, and have received it back body bagged. I agree 100% and will not be sending anything else to NGC and everything I have to grade to PCGS for the time being. Something is not right.

Just as a side note; I have now sold out on PCGS Graded Canadian Eagles and now I am finally selling the NGC's. But the point is that I had sold not one single MS70 NGC Slabbed coin until I sold out of PCGS Slabbed MS70's. I will be sending the remaining OGP's I have into PCGS if they don't sell like they are ungraded. At least I will be ensured of a future sell.

I enjoy the NGC forum here very much and I thank you NGC folks for providing it but either get your head out of your or you will not have anything but an active forum left.

One addition to Kryptonite's information. With the exception of a few year in the mid to late 1800's, the mint sold proof coins, not proof sets. Coins were priced and sold as individual pieces. Sure you could buy one of each coin and thus have a "set" but the option was that of the collector. Most collectors did not collect all series so they would only purchase those coins that they needed. The collectors were not forced to buy full sets until 1950.