• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New purchase, 1st colorful toned coin.....

13 posts in this topic

I always drool when I see the monster rainbow toned coins so many of you own and post on these boards. I don't have $500 bucks to drop on a common date Morgan with textile toning so I basically resigned myself to the fact that I would just have to stick with blast white coins.

Well while searching Ebay the other day, I came across a beautifully toned PCGS MS66 1958-D Quarter and the reverse of the coin blew me away. I used the BIN and although I did pay what I feel is a premium for the toning, it was still a very affordable coin.

Here are a few pictures though obviously the quality is subpar compared to the beautiful images a lot of you are able to post. I just couldn't capture the toning with out slanting the slab on the scanner and that of course produced a glare. I also included one of the images from the auction itself so you can get some idea what the coin looks like in hand.

Highlights:

The obverse is mostly white, but the rim toning features bold greens, reds, blues and oranges. The scan makes the toning look kind of black and splotchy.

1958D.jpg

The reverse is clearly the star of the show, straight on you get a glimpse of the red, orange and golden tones, but a slight tilt of the coin and the colors explode off the coin surface with a red glow. 893applaud-thumb.gif

quarter10.jpg

I am going to continue to look for some of the more affordable toned coins from the quarter series so I can add some real gems to my registry set. thumbsup2.gif

Nice coin. Looks just like the toning on most of the Stella Colbert #2 ALL TIME BEST

Washington Quarters with varieties ( PCGS) I viewed at B/M auction Baltimore National ANA . Set brought over $100, 000. ( got one wild 1939 toner inexpensively)