• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to this "S".....??????

5 posts in this topic

While experimenting with my new digital microscope I noticed this strange looking "S" on an 1876 Seated Dime.



Part of the "S" looks like it just flaked off??? It doesn't seem like and impact to the coin smushed the spot and I don't see any gouges to explain the missing part so I am hoping one of you fine folks can enlighten me thumbsup2.gif






Die brake of some sort??????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps a filled die. They can get a lot of crud in the recesses sometimes.


Or perhaps the die was polished too much, causing the low relief areas in the die to become worn away. (Although I think it's more likely a filled die in this case.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites