• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Raw Coin Submission Blues

5 posts in this topic

When NGC decides to "Detail" your coins

Well, my last submission of eight reales coins came home today. I had already seen the grading results online but the disappointment seems to have more impact when you have your box in hand. Slightly less than half got full grades -- my worst submission so far. These were mostly coins from Spanish auctions where I must rely on the pictures and catalog descriptions. I've learned to steer clear of "Rayitas" (scratches) and "Algo limpiar" (cleaned) so none of my detailed coins were described as such. Most were "Surface Hairlines" but I also got a details comment that I had not seen before, "Spot Removals". Please understand, I am not knocking Spanish auction houses in general because I've used them before and had much better results. I must accept that some of the coins in this batch were borderline in quality.

On the positive side, I've been trying to fill my 1781 Mexico 8R slot with a full grade coin and on the fourth try (three raw and one crossover), I finally got a raw coin back from this submission with a nice grade. I've taken a stab at presenting it like some of the impressive photos that others have posted.

~Jack

13587.jpg

See more journals by jgenn

When it comes to raw coins and getting them graded, it is just part of the system to get some back ungraded. I certainly have had my share even though I thought I had comparable graded coins to go by when field grading my coins.

Your image looks great. Good luck on your future submissions.

Semper Fi !

Jack

I definitely feel your pain. I'm currently working on a set of German 5 and 10 Reichspfenning Military Occupation coins ( Reichskreditkassen coins in German). These coins are zinc and very very rare except for the 1940 Berlin issues for each denomination. And they're almost all problem coins. You just can't find any of the issues aside from the aforementioned Berlin issues problem-free at all. And the sad thing is, I've seen a couple of problem free 1940-A issues that had huge price tags which were also far less attractive than the Surface Hairlined examples I have in my registry. This set has taught me that sometimes, eye appeal is everything and is more important than a detail grade. If you like your coin, and it's attractive and fits your collection well.......I wouldn't worry about it too much. In my mind, it's better to have a pretty coin than the right TPG label. Just enjoy your coin and keep building your set, which is a very cool pursuit, by the way.

Thanks, all, for your kind words of support. I think those of us who suffer the pain of "Details" rejection in order to get a few problem-free coins certified do a service for other collectors and future generations by expanding the census.

I agree that attractive details coins are not such a bad thing and they may hold their own against less attractive, fully-graded specimens. Also, I have a few that I could only afford in F or VF details grade so I pursued them for purely numismatic reasons.

On the other hand, I'm also in it for the investment potential. Being not too far from retirement, I feel my collection should appreciate in value over time and help me make ends meet at some time in the future. I think I'm doing my future self a favor by getting them graded, now, while I can afford it.

~Jack