• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Current 1 cent design

7 posts in this topic

Is there anything in the works to replace this? In my opinion it is hideous and reminds me of a bus token. That's probably an insult to bus tokens. Better yet, just eliminate the denomination.

Is there anything in the works to replace this?

Probably not until 2059.

Maybe we'll be able to eliminate the cent before then. [sarcasm]Maybe not though, it is still has 4% of the purchasing power the half cent had when it was discontinued as being too low a value. [/sarcasm]

I don't think the idea of eliminating the cent would benefit in any way. We have always had a system that is divided into $.01 and if you eliminate the coin that represents the smallest value you would have to base the system on $.05. Then when people started rounding numbers for interest on savings and for general sales tax, you would end up with an "Office Space" kind of scenario. Where do all those pennies go? Right into someones pocket.

On a more logical thought, why does the mint feel the need to make 22 BILLION pennies in the last 5 years (and that's just a rough guess from the Red Book). I would think that the ones that were made in the 50 years prior would be enough to keep this electronically driven economy moving. Back off on the mintage for a couple of years, and when a good amount have fallen into sofa cushions and gotten flattened on RR tracks, then go back to 4 billion a year.