• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1842 Seated Liberty Dollar motto above eagle w/ CC mint mark?

19 posts in this topic

This kind of junk is turned out in China and elsewhere for the tourist trade and illegally imported into the US for sale to the ignorant. They are counterfeit coins. These are found a flea markets and parking lot table sales along with knock-off tools, watches and other trash.

If you can find an 1842-CC dollar with motto, arrows, rays, and no drapery, I'm buying.

How much? I can probably get one for you, they do make to order.

Thanks RWB -

I buy storage lockers and thus other people's collections but I only get a partial story (the collection). I don't get the history behind it. I don't get the knowledge they may have in their head of "I hate that piece, I got ripped off but I keep it around as a reminder" or the folks who keep them around and don't know any better etc. From the age of stuff this was with I would have guessed it to be 40-50 years old but I may have been mistaken there...

One final question... are fakes of this kind common across tons of types of high end coins or is this a "classic" that resurfaces time and time again?

If you can find an 1842-CC dollar with motto, arrows, rays, and no drapery, I'm buying.

Melt + $1.

"One final question... are fakes of this kind common across tons of types of high end coins or is this a "classic" that resurfaces time and time again?"

Yep.

CC= Canton China

The melt value might be for steel, not silver. That is why the flea market dealers can sell these things for "melt" and make money.

Melt + $1.

The counterfeiters at this level of trash do not use silver.

Melt + $1.

The counterfeiters at this level of trash do not use silver.

I didn't say I'd pay melt value assuming it was made of silver, just its melt value + $1. If it's pot metal, I'd expect to pay about $1 for the piece.