• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fair price to pay for SLQ 1917 Type 1 NGC 65 FH

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

Could someone please help advise me as to what a fair price would be to offer for a coin of this type and grade? It is not a CAC certified coin and I didn't want to use a scan or picture, as I do not wish to give the name of the seller away. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

This one looks to be 'dipped.' Now I don't personally like toned coins, but I do know that CAC probably would not 'sticker' this coin.

The price ranges given already are probably the best you can get given there is not photo of the coin. It's pretty tough to narrow it down further but...

If you think it's a low end 65 (given you don't think CAC will sticker it) then whatever grey sheet "ask" is might be a starting point for you.

Do you like the coin?

jom

I love the coin, but I understand that it will never be anything more as some collectors (opposite of me) tend to shy away from close to 'blast white' coins; especially SLQ's like this. This coin will never CAC (though it would be funny if I bought it and it did), but I like the coin. I figure if I am going to get one for a type set I am working on then a good 'gem' FH type I coin from 1917 will fit nicely. That being said, paying over $1,000 for this coin is out of the question (only because I don't think it is worth it at list).

Thanks for all the advice.

I love the coin, but I understand that it will never be anything more as some collectors (opposite of me) tend to shy away from close to 'blast white' coins; especially SLQ's like this.

The 1917 type-1 is a hoard date. Many pieces were saved in roll quantities, and it is neither unusual nor detrimental for any random individual example to be legitimately "blast white".

I love the coin, but I understand that it will never be anything more as some collectors (opposite of me) tend to shy away from close to 'blast white' coins; especially SLQ's like this.

The 1917 type-1 is a hoard date. Many pieces were saved in roll quantities, and it is neither unusual nor detrimental for any random individual example to be legitimately "blast white".

I wasn't aware. I just assumed that with all 'buzz' about CAC certification that this dealer would have submitted the coin for approval.

Well guys, I submitted an offer, but the counter offer was way more than I was willing to pay. I am going to take a wait and see approach on this one and think about it some more. Paying well over $900 for this coin is just not feasible in a marketplace that seems to favor the 'green' and 'gold' beans.

I thank you all for your help.

If anyone wants to review the coin, just PM me and I will show a scan if you share your thoughts.

If this was $800+ I would easily consider the purchase, but at the counter offer price, I am left out in the cold just by pure logic alone.

I wasn't aware. I just assumed that with all 'buzz' about CAC certification that this dealer would have submitted the coin for approval.

You might be over-estimating the "buzz" :) . We handle millions and millions of dollars worth of coins every year, and have never submitted a single one to CAC.

Lack or presence of a sticker should not automatically preclude or include a coin from consideration!

You might be over-estimating the "buzz" :) . We handle millions and millions of dollars worth of coins every year, and have never submitted a single one to CAC.

Lack or presence of a sticker should not automatically preclude or include a coin from consideration!

This! The CAC sticker is just giving an opinion that the grade listed on the holder is accurate. It's either spot-on for the grade or higher end. If it doesn't sticker it means it is low end for the grade...according to CAC anyway.

However, if you LIKE the coin (which includes the asking price) then stickers or + signs or stars shouldn't matter a damn. If you like it, buy it.

That being said, the 17P specifically is a fairly common issue. Which means there are a lot of them out there to look at. With dates like that you can take your time to cherry pick one at a good price.

jom

This! The CAC sticker is just giving an opinion that the grade listed on the holder is accurate. It's either spot-on for the grade or higher end. If it doesn't sticker it means it is low end for the grade...according to CAC anyway.

However, if you LIKE the coin (which includes the asking price) then stickers or + signs or stars shouldn't matter a damn. If you like it, buy it.

That being said, the 17P specifically is a fairly common issue. Which means there are a lot of them out there to look at. With dates like that you can take your time to cherry pick one at a good price.

jom

As I suggested to our gentle reader just now via PM, really, the CAC sticker just means that some group of folks want to make a market with certain coins and not others. The coins important to them get a sticker. It's pretty much that cut-and-dried, in my opinion.

We really need to stop fretting and clucking like mother hens about whether this coin is infinitesimally nicer than that coin, or this other one is .02% better than that one. At some point, it pays off in spades to simply enjoy any particular coin for what it is, independent of all the endless parade of additional "other" opinions, doesn't it?

jom

As I suggested to our gentle reader just now via PM, really, the CAC sticker just means that some group of folks want to make a market with certain coins and not others. The coins important to them get a sticker. It's pretty much that cut-and-dried, in my opinion.

We really need to stop fretting and clucking like mother hens about whether this coin is infinitesimally nicer than that coin, or this other one is .02% better than that one. At some point, it pays off in spades to simply enjoy any particular coin for what it is, independent of all the endless parade of additional "other" opinions, doesn't it?

lol, that opinion might get Bruce all over your butt. ;)

Mintcollector, in my opinion there's no very compelling reason to get a blasty white 65 1917 type 1 for type purposes vs say, a 63 or 64. Up to you of course, but as noted, it's a hoard date, and not at all difficult to find as a rule.

I thank you all for those that that responded. Several forum members did see the coin via scan and stated it is nice for the grade. I am contemplating the purchase. I will gladly keep the forum updated and if anyone has anything further to add, please do so.

Kind Regards,

mint

Well guys, I submitted an offer, but the counter offer was way more than I was willing to pay. I am going to take a wait and see approach on this one and think about it some more. Paying well over $900 for this coin is just not feasible in a marketplace that seems to favor the 'green' and 'gold' beans.

I thank you all for your help.

If anyone wants to review the coin, just PM me and I will show a scan if you share your thoughts.

If this was $800+ I would easily consider the purchase, but at the counter offer price, I am left out in the cold just by pure logic alone.

You don't know if it would get a "bean" or not. The color, and whether or not it was dipped at some point, frankly, have no baring on it receiving a sticker. Most coins over 100 year old that are snow white were dipped, and typically certify as problem free and CAC with regularity. As unfortunate as it is, dip is an accepted practice.

The 1917 SLQ at MS65FH is not terribly difficult to find. Hold out for one you like at a price that seems appropriate. They really are fantastic, usually well-struck, and there are many white ones out there that might actually be original. Some have truly outstanding luster.