• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just passed 100K Registry Points!!!

6 posts in this topic

I knew I was close but didn't know which one would put me over the top.

Hello fellow collectors. My first journal happens to coincide with my recent breakthrough of the 100K registry points milestone. Sure it's just a number but it defines a point at which I can look back and reflect on the collection I have built in the last three and a half years. For me, this all started with one of those "America's First Silver Dollars" followed by the realization that collectible grade eight reales coins (aka pieces of eight) could be found for what I paid for a damaged example (or less). Needless to say, I caught the collecting bug.

Last year I became aware that my registry point total was well into five digits and figured out that only coins in competitive sets counted. So, I started putting my eligible coins into sets to see how many points were there.

The points accumulated until I knew the next coin would break 100K. I had some coins in for grading at NGC, won two coins at Heritage CICF but what arrived in the mailbox first was an Ebay win -- an 8 reales from 1814 minted in Cadiz, Spain.

My main collecting focus is the 8 reales from the Spanish colonies but I also have examples from the Spanish mints in Madrid and Seville. Cadiz is of historical significance in that it was the home of the Spanish treasure fleet and dominated trade with the colonies in the 18th century.

At the time this coin was minted, however, the Spanish empire was in decline -- Napoleon had invaded and conquered most of Spain and the remnants of Spanish governance retreated to Cadiz where coins of this type were minted from 1810-1815. The Spanish colonies in America were plunged into a long period of warfare for their independence.

It has been a fun and fascinating journey so far. Thanks for reading. Here is a picture of the coin that got me past 100K. It's only an XF45 so please pardon the condition.

~Jack

13546.jpg

See more journals by jgenn

Congratulations on the milestone. Your collecting tastes should always come before the grade IMO. Getting the coin you want often times with patience and persistence and in too many cases the right pocket book.

Fascinating collection you have amassed. Keep up the good work!

Michael

That's pretty awesome to reach such a high mark, quite a milestone -

Don't stop now Jack, keep striving for a higher mark, for it may take years for anyone to catch up with'ya!

Way To Go!

Jim Berline

Congrats Jack !!

An interesting fact that I learned through my Flying Eagle and Indian Cent collection is that up to the release of the "small cent" Flying Eagle in 1857, many foreign coins , mostly Spanish Reales, had circulated side by side with the large old coppers in circulation. A redemption period of 2 years was set for both the old coppers and the foreign coins, so there was literally a two tier coinage sytem in place until the Flying Eagles were circulated. I would never had guessed that foreign coins were so common in U.S. commerce 80 years after our Independence. Side note- Rick Snow stated in his book Flying Eagle and Indian Cents that " the disappearance of the Large Cents, Half Cents and foreign coins created the first major coin collecting boon in this country".

Continued success !!!

Rich