• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade MS Ikes

10 posts in this topic

Question for the NGC experts:

I have someone offering me a 1976-P Type I MS 67 Cameo Ike. Yes you read that right MS & Cameo. The pop report shows the one MS coin, but the bad scan the person showed me looks like a proof.

I have the cert # but can not find a way to look it up.

Anyway to do that?

Anyone else have these kind of mistakes show up on NCG coins?

Thanks!

James

I believe if you are a member of their Collector's Club (?) then you have access to their online database. If you post the cert number in the thread, I'll look it up for you. Alternatively, send me a PM with the number and I can look it up for you that way.

I have a PCGS MS65 DCAM (on the insert) 1982-D Washington Commemorative.

Yours is also probably an insert error. If anything, NGC might go PL but they'de never, I'd suspect, give a Mint State coin a CAMEO designation.

OK, correct me if I'm wrong (very likely) but aren't there Cameo PL Morgans that exist?

As an aside, I have Alan Hagar's Ike book and I remember that it said there was no such thing as a Cameo PL Ike...so maybe that is why there aren't any graded? I know I know...Hagar is consider less than reliable but still...his book was decent. confused-smiley-013.gif

jom

OK, correct me if I'm wrong (very likely) but aren't there Cameo PL Morgans that exist?

Yes, there are quite a few.

As an aside, I have Alan Hagar's Ike book and I remember that it said there was no such thing as a Cameo PL Ike...so maybe that is why there aren't any graded? I know I know...Hagar is consider less than reliable but still...his book was decent. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've seen/owned PL & DPL Ikes and not seen one with a real cameo. Some can be found with what appears a light cameo, but it is most likely just a satiny relief contrasted with PL mirrors.

I have someone offering me a 1976-P Type I MS 67 Cameo Ike. Yes you read that right MS & Cameo. The pop report shows the one MS coin, but the bad scan the person showed me looks like a proof.

I has a 1960 Small Date 1c that is graded MS66 CAMEO by PCGS. Since they are experts and don't make mistakes, then clearly this coin that came from a proof set must be a rare cameo business strike!

The PF/MS errors happen more than they should. You'd think the computer system printing the labels wouldn't allow MS + CAMEO together on the insert, but it does.

NGC will reholder this coin for free.

You can also call NGC Customer Service with the insert number and they will look it up for you.

I too have seen PL Ikes but never owned one. So it is possible Hagar was right.

BTW, Hagar's comment on this was to try to show that Ikes in certain grades were far rarer than Morgans in some cases. Apparently, Cameo PL being one of them....

jom

My understanding (on the segway to Morgans) was that DPL cameo Morgans were made by processes similar to proof coinage - pickeled dies that were highly polished for the contrast on the fields. The only true differences between these and true proofs were that (1) the proof dies were more articulately hubbed, and (2) the proof coins were struck twice. Is this true or am I way off?

As for the Ikes, no such processes occurred to produce DPL cameo pieces, so the best one would see would be DPL with mild contrast, as one may also see in other series of the period.

Hoot

I've seen/owned PL & DPL Ikes and not seen one with a real cameo. Some can be found with what appears a light cameo, but it is most likely just a satiny relief contrasted with PL mirrors.

All the Ikes may exist in PL though there are a couple i an't recall having seen. The '76 is exceedingly scarce in PL and both examples I've seen were most unattractive. This coin is also very scarce above MS-64 condition. I don't know about the pops on it, but if they show very many it's only because the coins are being compared to other coins of the date rather than other coins of the series. While the coin quite possibly exists in MS-67, it's very safe to predict that it does not exist in MS-67 PL.

The satiny finish referred to above was usually caused by the still unsmoothed surfaces on a brand new die. This wore off very quickly on an Ike die. Even the PL effect disappeared in only a few hundred strikes.