• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which option would you choose... Cash ~or~ Trade?

22 posts in this topic

Not hypothetical as I just got off the phone with a friend that made me this offer! :D

He will be in my area for business for the next 4 days and wants to get together for dinner and I have a coin for him on which I need to get paid $200.00.

Since he's driving in and just renovated one of his bathrooms offers up bringing his used 1970's circa lucite toilet seat with $16.80 in 90% silver.

Although the trade is worth about $290+/- I'm fine with the Cash option! :eyeroll:

Which would you choose... Cash ~or~ Trade? hm

Not the actual seat just a stock photo of one in actual use.

20759pf.jpg

have him clean the toilet seat up well and take it! Melt value is worth more

It would take me at least $90 in abrasive cleaning products to make me feel safe to touch someone else's used toilet seat. I would take the cash. There are no fees for liquidation; it's ready for use.

The real question is if you are willing to get close enough to the toilet seat with a loupe to check for key dates or any varieties that may exist! I would probably pass on the seat and just take the cash!

Not every day does a trade deal like this come along. Take the trade, it's a unique item and would be well worth the laugh you will have together. Make him pay for diner though. And hang the toilet seat on the wall of your office or man cave. Life's short, enjoy every minute of it.

Nick

Is it safe to say only a coin collector would stick his head in a toilet to check for key dates and/or varieties? hm

jom

This thread is officially missing a polling application; thus, I have added one.

Thanks coinman_23885, As I wasn't aware of the poll option here (thumbs u

Is it safe to say only a coin collector would stick his head in a toilet to check for key dates and/or varieties? hm

jom

I can't remember laughing so hard at any post in my life!! I'm in tears.... lol

No disrepect to you or your post, I just find it funny. I think if it were me I would take the cash.

The real question is if you are willing to get close enough to the toilet seat with a loupe to check for key dates or any varieties that may exist! I would probably pass on the seat and just take the cash!

Would you use a 10x loupe and a clothes pin?

I have to be the only person who would take that trade in a heartbeat. Anyone who thinks that their entire bathroom (not to mention every paper bill you've ever handled) is clear of dookie particles is living in a fantasy world...lol

That being said, the first thing I'd do is bleach the heck out of that trade. And then hang it on the wall or something creative like that...I doubt the gf would sanction such a display of wealth in our bathroom...

$290 > $200

I WOULD TAKE THE SEAT AS THE 90% A COUPLE OF YEARS FROM NOW looks to be worth well over 500 usd if not more

AND your friend is short of cash

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

definately the seat

just tell your friend to clean any nicotine stains off of the seat before he presents it to you

jom

Post of the day.

...just tell your friend to clean any nicotine stains off of the seat before he presents it to you

Huh?!?!?!? :o

Hey Broadie, if you take the seat all you'll have is a conversation piece. If you take the cash, you'll have spending money for exonumia!

That said, I think these seats are pretty scarce though. Tough decision. hm

Make sure you're not counting the silver Ikes as 90%, since they're only 40%. If you counted correctly, it's a tough call. I'd call around to see if there are any local B&M buyers of these at 80-90% of melt. If so, take the seat. If you were to sell it on eBay and get $290, you give up 13% in fees, and another $15 in shipping, putting you at $237 net. If you get 90% of melt, your net is only $212.

Figuring the value of the silver can be misleading. If you were to scrap it for the silver no one is going to give you anything close to the normal price for 90% silver in the condition they are in. And you would probably find it very troublesome to try and release the coins for the seat and get all of the plastic off of them so that they would give you the full value.