• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1866 Liberty Head Dime

11 posts in this topic

I inherited my Dad's Coin Collection, and as I went through it, I noticed this 1866 Liberty head dime. I can't find something that says the value of this coin... There are dimes that are Seated Liberty 1866. This one I have is just the Head of Lady Liberty.

Hopefully someone can tell me what the value of this one is.

Thanks!

Without a picture, it's pretty hard to know just what you're talking about. A picture would help other collectors here see just what you are describing and they can better assist you in your searvh for information.

There's a price guide on this site where you can find the coin and the wide range of prices based on grades. First you have to determine where it was minted as the prices are even wider.

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/NGCCoinPriceGuide.aspx

Philadelphia: In Good condition (worst grade) it's worth ~$420. In the highest grade MS67 (only 2 graded by NGC) it's worth ~$4K. These are retail prices and do not guarantee anything. The list an MS68+*, but don't have a price)

San Francisco: In Good condition it's worth $29.90. In highest grade MS66 (only 2 graded by NGC) it's worth ~$25K.

First thing you should do is go to a Barnes and Noble or Amazon and get yourself "A Guide Book of United States Coins". Unofficially known as "The Red Book". It costs about $13 and is published by Whitman. It has a wealth of information about all U.S. Coins and a price guide for each as well as some tips on how to grade the coin. Again, the prices are for reference as you won't normally get these in the marketplace. Before you do anything with your inherited collection, buy this book and read it. That way, you'll know more about the coins and their value.

Thank you for the RED BOOK Suggestion.

Yes, I definitely need to get that or research more about these coins... I have not gone through all of the compartments of coins inside the small trunk, and that guide will be a huge help.

Once again, thank you all !

Thank you for the RED BOOK Suggestion.

Yes, I definitely need to get that or research more about these coins... I have not gone through all of the compartments of coins inside the small trunk, and that guide will be a huge help.

Once again, thank you all !

Your welcome. It was the first book I purchased and read. I've also bought it for my brother in-laws as they have an inherited collection as well.

I hope by researching the coins, an interest in the hobby will be sparked. There is a lot of history surrounding U.S. currency that I never knew existed until learning about it while researching coins.

Good Luck with your collection.

Thank you for the reply.

I don't know how to attach the actual pic.

But here's the link

http://screencast.com/t/FQDFgWqyPK

Much different coin than in your Subject heading.

Starts at: $14.95 in Good to $17.7K in MS68.

I'm no expert on the series, but this might be worth about $30-$40. The coin is in nice shape, but certainly has circulation wear. The big issue with the coin is the rim damage 8:30-9:00 on the obverse. I don't know what that would do to the grade. Otherwise it's in XF condition. Again, just my opinion.