• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1817 George III Shilling -- GRADE POSTED

6 posts in this topic

Ooh, that's a damn fine coin!

I'd go so far as to call that a 66. I know these are really rare that high, but I can't see anything that would knock it down. The luster is strong, the strike is superb, there are no marks of note....

I'm really jealous right now. The only thing that coin needs is some color.

Good guesses from all. I actually have to agree with all of them. This coin is actually in a PCGS MS65 holder. I am always very careful when purchasing PCGS graded world coins. There are a LOT that are improperly graded. When I purchased this one, the only thing I could see that was holding this Shilling back to MS65 was that there is a bit of incomplete (very very slight) strike of the lions on the reverse and in the laurel leaves of the obverse. The luster for a coin of this era is superb, and as Jason mentioned -- there are essentially zero marks or distractions. I lean toward coins that are not blast white, but in this case, the strike, luster, timing, and price all converged at once to make it a no-brainer purchase for me. :)

I'm very happy with this purchase. If you look hard you can see the "leaping Hanoverian horse" in the central crest on the reverse. I purchased this coin to add to my Horses set. George III is one of the British Kings of the House of Hanover, the line which eventually ended with Queen Victoria. While Queen Victoria is of the House of Hanover, her crest does not include the central inlaid crest because she didn't maintain any of the titles of the Kingdom of Hanover -- Salic Law forbade females from holding such titles.

Cheers,

-Brandon

1817_GB_Shilling_PCGS_MS65_composite_zpsfb82957f.jpg