• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back from a week long Vacation with some goodies...

7 posts in this topic

First off is a 1883 Hawaii Quarter.... I am not sure how to grade them, but at the price it was a steal... looks to be AU with some wierd marks and nice toning.... Look at the pics.. Plz try to grade and or give opinions...

583671-hawaiifront11.jpg

583670-hawaiicolor1.jpg

583669-hawaiiback1.jpg

Also picked up a Texas 1935 D Commem MS 63++

and one more item of note is a 1944 Qtr MS Nice luster and pretty much mark free...

The Coin looks like it was in a 3 prong holder(mabye a necklace) and that is why there is rim damage wihich explains 10 o clock.. The coin is not a cast copy.... the hairlines really don't show up in person... I am also wondering about those bulges... What do you think about the grade ... givin it would net grade at ANACS....

I will post pics of the Texas later...

I grade the Hawaiian quarter XF-40. Due to the damage, ANACS will only mark the coin as 'genuine' damaged and will not net grade. Usually, they net grade for cleaning , AT or non alteration problems. The bulges have me stumped. There is no misflow of metal on the reverse side. It's the first time I have seen this type of problem on a Hawaiian. I have seen copies with these bulges, but not genuine coinage. confused.gif

TRUTH

I grade the Hawaiian quarter XF-40. Due to the damage, ANACS will only mark the coin as 'genuine' damaged and will not net grade. Usually, they net grade for cleaning , AT or non alteration problems. The bulges have me stumped. There is no misflow of metal on the reverse side. It's the first time I have seen this type of problem on a Hawaiian. I have seen copies with these bulges, but not genuine coinage. confused.gif

TRUTH

ANACS will also net grade for tooling and filed rims along with the catch-all, "damaged". Holed coins and altered surface coins (such as acid date Buffalo nickels) are also net graded by ANACS.

I personally think this one was in a fire, was removed rather quickly, cleaned and has since retoned somewhat.

I also believe ANACS will net grade it.

A fire sounds like a likely cause for the metal in front of the face... but I still think it was in a 3 or 4 prong holder...... the rims on the coin look pretty shabby....

Here is the Texas... and after looking at some coins online... by the pics it looks at least MS 65 to me..... What do you think?

584493-tx35dfront.jpg

584494-tx35dback.jpg